Hey Nixy...

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
You're studying engineering? What discipline are you studying? I work for an engineering firm here in Deadmonton, we currently have a project going with Syncrude.

I don't have time to do a history search as I am quite sure you've gone over this before :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Actually, at this University (McMaster YAY!) there is a common first year for engineering so I don't choose my discipline til the end of this year. I was originally thinking about civil. Now I am also considering Software and my chemistry lab TA suggested that maybe I consider Chemical (I am doing really well in those labs)

So, in short, I am not sure yet.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
but you have something like "a hunch" for certain discipline, don't you?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
My hunch was for Civil but now I am in a toss up between Civil and Software. I am gonna have to do some more research and see how I like programming as it gets more involving.

Luis G

Staff member
while Software Engineering deals with "programming", it isn't about programming.

Software Engineering deals more with the "design" part of the programs, you know, analysing the system, then collecting information about needs and available resources, to finally make a design of a proper software system. These design is a pain, many methodologies are available, when you have your design complete you can give it to the programming team, and they make the code.

Luis G

Staff member
don't search according to what you like in a career, instead search for a career that matches what you like.

and btw........what do you like?

Jeslek

Banned
Software Engineering is trash. It isn't a recognized Engineering course, and is a watered down version of Computer Science. I have revered back to Computer Science and am now doubling with Electronic Engineering. Yes I change majors more often than I change socks. :eek:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Yeah, I thought you were doing Computer Scienbce and Civil?

Actually, in terms of professional engineering. All the eng courses here at Mac are deemed Professional

Jeslek

Banned
Nixy said:
Yeah, I thought you were doing Computer Scienbce and Civil?

Actually, in terms of professional engineering. All the eng courses here at Mac are deemed Professional
No, no Software Engineering courses are accepted by the Professional Engineer's Association of Ontario. Not yet. I was thinking of Civil, Mech, Chemical... decided Electronic.

Luis G

Staff member
ohh yes, that's a good one.
we have a "materials engineering", and it is very well paid.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
We have materials as well

LL: The Dean of Engineering told us today that Mac Engineering is a Professional Course. ALL engineering.

Jeslek

Banned
Nixy said:
We have materials as well

LL: The Dean of Engineering told us today that Mac Engineering is a Professional Course. ALL engineering.
The Dean is full of shit. Waterloo told me it doesn't qualify yet, and to confirm I checked with the Professional Engineer's Association. They confirmed it. Software Engineering is on the books for now, but as of today it will not get you an iron ring.