Hiking...

Cool! Places from both sides of the country...

Here's another little spot I like to go. Very unique terrain for Florida. We camped there weekend before last and did some light hiking with the kids. The website has a few pics, but here's a better one of the river...

Attachment(s):

appalachicola_river.jpg, 69.50kb

201_1038889969.jpg

I'll be hitting the Appalachian Trail with an uncle sometime. It runs from north Georgia to mid Maine and takes a good 4 months to knock out.

My normal stomping ground is Cumberland Island, GA. I've hiked every square inch of that island twice over... but, alas, it was in my younger days, aka, pre-camera... so I have piccys of it to share.

When I was younger, my Dad used to take us to Vermont every summer to backpack. He started us out with Little Rock Pond which was a fairly easy hike and then we would hike to Clarendon Gorge. There was this suspension footbridge over the Gorge and we always scared each other on it. We would go over one at a time and although no one wanted to go first, once they got to the other side, they could take their pack off and safely jump up and down on the bridge to wobble it for the next person. :eek:

We did go a few other places but I don't remember them. It's been about 15 years since we went.

unclehobart said:
I'll be hitting the Appalachian Trail with an uncle sometime. It runs from north Georgia to mid Maine and takes a good 4 months to knock out.

*envious*

I would love to be able to do that. Maybe someday when the kids are older...

Does "sometime" mean sometime real soon, or some unspecified date in the far future? There's a place online that posts entries from people's trail journals. You should think about keeping a journal and posting it for us so we can follow your progress. Or not, if that would take the fun out of it.

Let me see if I can find that link... here it is: Trail Journals.

Some of them make very interesting reading. I prefer the ones that contain less angst and more information about the trail, the sights and the logistics of the hike. This one was my favorite of the ones I read.

My uncle likes to do the 15-17 day 200 mile section kind of attack, doing like 3 hikes a year. He has a small pool of buddies that he attacks it with. Hes already piecemealed 3/4 of it. Unfortunately, it is his wife that is my sick auntie with the whole cancer thing. It kind of threw a wrench into it all... at least for a good 18 months if not longer.

unclehobart said:
My uncle likes to do the 15-17 day 200 mile section kind of attack, doing like 3 hikes a year. He has a small pool of buddies that he attacks it with. Hes already piecemealed 3/4 of it. Unfortunately, it is his wife that is my sick auntie with the whole cancer thing. It kind of threw a wrench into it all... at least for a good 18 months if not longer.

:( That's sad. I must've missed the thread where you mentioned her before.

When you guys go, are you going to thru hike it? I would love to be able to do that, but I don't think I could be gone for four months unless I took the kids with me. It would be a great homeschooling experience for them. :p Gotta wait until they're a good bit older, though. I can lug Levi around on my back, but that doesn't leave much room for gear.

Attachment(s):

torreya22.jpg, 117.09kb

201_1038933259.jpg

Funny book on hiking the Appalachian Trail: In the Woods by Bill Bryson. He travels and then writes books about where he goes/what he sees. Like travelogues. I've become addicted to them... I read 'In the Woods', 'In a Sunburned Country' (about him in Australia) and I just read another travelogue by a different guy named "In Search of Captain Zero". Some of them can be interesting when you haven't been to any of these places before. I just wish I could go there myself. :)

I dont think we can do a through hike as the world tosses too many obligations at you to just disappear for half a year. I think we could get away with breaking it into month long chunks though... doing it in 4 sections over two years.

unclehobart said:
I dont think we can do a through hike as the world tosses too many obligations at you to just disappear for half a year. I think we could get away with breaking it into month long chunks though... doing it in 4 sections over two years.

That would be cool.

The kids are five years apart. I figure that maybe by the time Levi is 13 and Anna is 18, they could both do the hike with me. We'll leave Mom at home to send out our mail drops, and take off. :p

ooh! over here on my island, you can hike at the volcano.

Attachment(s):

dsc00126.jpg, 145.64kb

50_1038943865.jpg

The plus side about hiking on Hawaii is the lack of snakes and other mega animals that might seem fit to make a snack of an unwary hiker.

Ardsgaine said:
The kids are five years apart. I figure that maybe by the time Levi is 13 and Anna is 18, they could both do the hike with me. We'll leave Mom at home to send out our mail drops, and take off. :p

That's what my Dad did, Mom always stayed home. I started going when I was 10. My pack wasn't as heavy as theirs but I still had to carry one and help make the fire, the food, carry my weight so to speak. I remember it feeling great to be treated as a grown up for the first time-they are my fondest memories of my father growing up.

greenfreak said:
That's what my Dad did, Mom always stayed home. I started going when I was 10. My pack wasn't as heavy as theirs but I still had to carry one and help make the fire, the food, carry my weight so to speak. I remember it feeling great to be treated as a grown up for the first time-they are my fondest memories of my father growing up.

Wow, that's cool! What a great dad you had. Jan and I were talking about maybe taking Anna with us on a backpacking trip next fall. She would be seven by then, and we wouldn't load her down too much. We're hoping to go on one just the two of us in the next couple of months.

Well he wasn't all that great growing up but he did take me hiking and teach me how to shoot a gun. :D

I look at my niece and nephew who are 10 and 9, and I would definitely take them hiking. But not together at the same time. I think that's important--not just the kid and if you think they can handle it but if they're going to be ok with no breaks from the rest of you for days on end. That can get a little crazy.

Back