Hmm...Agenda, anyone?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Their code says that gays and lesbians who serve must be celibate. Not long ago, they couldn't serve at all. Here it is. Just keep lowering the standard...

Anyone remember when the christian church was based on the teaching of the Bible and not popular opinion???

Their code says that gays and lesbians who serve must be celibate. Not long ago, they couldn't serve at all. Here it is. Just keep lowering the standard...

who cares? it's their churches. they can do whatever they decide. and if the majority get upset about gays, then the "offending" members/clergy can go find another church. and if you don't like it, reflect that in your choice of church. it's really all very simple.

"lowering the standard." hmmm... that like letting women vote and blacks own property?

:wave2:

who cares? it's their churches. they can do whatever they decide. and if the majority get upset about gays, then the "offending" members/clergy can go find another church. and if you don't like it, reflect that in your choice of church. it's really all very simple.

"lowering the standard." hmmm... that like letting women vote and blacks own property?

:wave2:

Nope. More like forming your own church instead of making an existing church change their policies to suit you. As for them being their churches, I disagree. If the council sets a standard, then that standard should be met. Not ignored, if it suits your fancy. Nice try using the constitution, though. Doesn't apply to a church, but it was a nice try. ;)

so churches should not evolve?

well i hope you haven't cut your beard, then!

i wasn't trying to "use the constitution." yoo too literal. it's analogy, with respect to changing rules to accomodate changing times. in which case it's right on.

traditionalists would say such changes "lower the standard." later, those traditionalists seem silly...

but hey, i'm all for going back to all the rules and conventions of the early 19th century. whaddya say? it'll be fun. for me...

IMO, all branches need to get back to old school rules, on all the rules.

cool. because i'm really looking forward to the day when wifebeating, animal sacrifice, crucifixion, and slavery are brought back in all their glory!

:beardbng:

cool. because i'm really looking forward to the day when wifebeating, animal sacrifice, crucifixion, and slavery are brought back in all their glory!

:beardbng:

We sacrifice animals to the god of hunger daily. Crucifixion and slavery still make greater deterrents than 5 years at Club Fed. Wife beating never went away. Most men just became such pussies that the wife took over that job too.

but that IS old school. if you want to go back to tradition, embrace it, don't pick and choose.

And if you'd show me where the church...following the rules laid down in the bible...advocated those things you mentioned as something other than punishment for some transgression, please do so. Also...since some folks here like to change things to suit their own agendas (myself included), please include the entire context of the situation, and not just the verse.

By the way in the language the bible was written in there was no word that translates to homosexual. They had no word for it at all, so how is it that in later translations the word has begun to appear? If the bible is the "unfallable word of god" how is it that there are 1000 different translations and some say entirely different things?

By the way in the language the bible was written in there was no word that translates to homosexual. They had no word for it at all, so how is it that in later translations the word has begun to appear? If the bible is the "unfallable word of god" how is it that there are 1000 different translations and some say entirely different things?

Because the bible was written in a long dead language and there have been various translations to english etc.

Ok so that means even though two different translations may say two different things they are both correct?

Ever play telephone? You repeat a message in one persons ear and they repeat it in another and by the time it's gone a few folks down the line it's a different message? Kinda like that. Different scholars choose a different particular translation and then when put into modern vernacular it becomes...well...very different.

Ever play telephone? You repeat a message in one persons ear and they repeat it in another and by the time it's gone a few folks down the line it's a different message? Kinda like that. Different scholars choose a different particular translation and then when put into modern vernacular it becomes...well...very different.

Kind of blows the whole "infallible word of god" theory to kingdom come doesn't it?

This about sums up what I think about most so called "christians".

*piss2*

Jesus, when asked, said that the most important of all commandments was: Love thy god and love they neigbor even as thy love thyself. Anything beyond that isn't christianity it's bullshit.

Back