Holy Crap! What a nightmare!

pc_builder

I just spent four hours trying to set up my new dlink router. For some reason, my laptop, which runs windows 2000, couldn't log into the router's setup pages.

I followed all instructions, and troubleshooting tips from dlinks website, which i was able to do by reconnecting my other computer.

anyway, i gave up with the laptop and repeated the whole process on my win98 machine. i was up and running in less than ten minutes! :banghead:

oh well, the best part is, i can set up a computer as a web server now so i don't have to use geocities anymore.

when that is setup, i'll ask you guys to test it for me to see if it works.

I have a really big problem still. My win98 computer connects just fine to the internet through my router. But I've been messing around with my laptops settings for awhile now and to no avail.

the laptop runs win 2000 pro w/ sp4 i think. i tried configuring all my network settings the same as the win 98 comp and nothing. (obviously i know to use a different ip on the laptop). i can't even ping the router from the laptop.

I used to get "Host is unreachable"
Now I get "Request timed out"

I can't get on the internet with my laptop. I don't know what I haven't done yet. Maybe I haven't tried everything, so someone give me a clue.

Is the router configired to act as a DHCP server? If so, and you're manually assigning addys (smart!), kill that function.

pc_builder said:
I have a really big problem still. My win98 computer connects just fine to the internet through my router. But I've been messing around with my laptops settings for awhile now and to no avail.

the laptop runs win 2000 pro w/ sp4 i think. i tried configuring all my network settings the same as the win 98 comp and nothing. (obviously i know to use a different ip on the laptop). i can't even ping the router from the laptop.

I used to get "Host is unreachable"
Now I get "Request timed out"

I can't get on the internet with my laptop. I don't know what I haven't done yet. Maybe I haven't tried everything, so someone give me a clue.
What are your network settings for both machines?

Also....Got a firewall on the 2000 machine?

I turned off the DHCP server in the router.

I disabled the firewalls on both machines.

on the win98 machince, all i had to do was change the ip address and the gateway, i left everything else as it was, and voila, on the internet.

win98 machine:
ip 192.168.0.2
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1 (the router's ip address)

same settings for the win 2000 machine. first i set the ip address at 192.168.0.3 that didn't work. so then i tried an ip in the router's default dhcp range 192.168.0.100

still nothing. I even erased the other network settings, put them back, tried enabling dhcp, disabled it...

what else did you want when you asked for network settings? was that it?

my windows 2000's dhcp client doesn't seem to work either. it seemed to make up it's own ip address without getting one from the router, so that didn't even work.

I can't ping the router from the win2000 machine. as far as i know, every setting is right, but it just doesn't see the router.

No software firewall on the 2000 machine? Can you ping the 98 machine?

Maybe try removing/reinstalling TCP/IP.

1. Subnet masks all the same?
2. File and printer sharing turned on?
3. Double check the default gateway on the 2K box.
4. Check everything for typos.
5. Run ipconfig from a command prompt window on the 2K box to check the settings.
6. Have you tried swapping cables around?
7. Check your NIC in device manager.

Note that if you can't ping the router, you won't be able to do anything else with it. Usually, when I have this problem, I go into TCP/IP settings and reset all the settings, then restart (even though you don't have to in 2K). Also make sure the computer names are different and the workgroup name is the same, although this would not keep you from seeing the router.

Edit: Oh, by the way, every router in the freaking world comes from the factory set at 192.168.0.1. Being basically a paranoid bastard, That's the first thing I change (well, after the default password). In your situation, I think I'd try to get it up and running first.

i second the idea of verifying it isn't a cable problem. use the cable you KNOW is working, plugged into the rtr port you KNOW is working, try swapping another known good NIC if you can. That will eliminate half the possible problems.

And 128.101.101.101 is another DNS server you can try (UofMN), not much use if you can't even make it to your router though

PCB, I have a wireless system set up (Network Anywhere router and an Airlink receiver). Make sure your SSID is set to "wireless", and I think the channel is defaulted to 6.

I set my dns to automatically assign and IP to automatically assign, as well.

Good luck. :)

I would try another card except this is my laptop we're talking about. it's a pc cardbus card, and I only have one. :(

Also, I don't have wireless. Sorry valkyrie.

I've recently tried uninstalling and reinstalling the card's drivers, but that didn't work. I tried uninstalling tcp/ip and the microsoft client and then reinstlalling, though, I'm not sure I really uninstalled those two things in the first place.

I'll try all that other stuff though, connecting to what I know works, etc.

Back