HOLY INSURANCE HEADACHES!

I take it you can't call Progressive and get the rates of them and three others? Or call that damn'd Geico lizard and save 15%? :(

Big name companies are usually WAY more...I checked Belair direct today and it was almost $300 a month...right now we're paying $130

Nixy said:
Big name companies are usually WAY more...I checked Belair direct today and it was almost $300 a month...right now we're paying $130

Have your room declared a seperate address...Whateveryourmom'saddress-B...:D

Gato_Solo said:
Have your room declared a seperate address...Whateveryourmom'saddress-B...:D

HAHAHA

We already tried something similar...she asked if I change my addy to my Hamilton addy (since I spend most of the year there) but they said if I have a different addy then they won't put me on the insurance at all :(

PuterTutor said:
Must be a Canada thing, I could go walking into any insurance agent in town and have proof of insurance cards printed up by noon.
Yeah, it's easy to get insurance here. I use progressive BTW. One policy for two daily drivers, a "pleasure" vehicle and a motorcycle. My wife is the primary driver on one of these vehicles, but I could be.

Question: Is the truck a real antique or an old beater?

It's restored basically to original condition

By no means a beater but not "hotrod"-ized either

It's appraised at more than what was paid for it in Nov of 76 if that means anything to ya :p

You mean to tell me that for once, something in California is less fucked up than it is someplace else in the world?

I could also walk into any insurance agency and have proof of insurance cards printed up by noon. Insurers don't care if you have anything else insured with them or not, although they'll usually give you a multiple-car discount if you insure more than one car through them. They'll want a primary driver for each vehicle, and typical use (pleasure, commuting, etc.) and typical miles per year. For every licensed driver living with you, they'll check their records and your insurance rate will vary accordingly. If you don't want to pay the higher rate, you have to specifically exclude a driver from your policy. Of course, if the excluded driver gets in a wreck, then for all intents and purposes there was no insurance on the car at all. That's a big, big part of why I didn't like Brandi driving very much.

Also, is the truck also registered as a historical vehicle/antique/other similar special designation?

My parents' really old vehicles, the 1962 Fairlane and 1967 Ranchero, are both registered like regular vehicles and insured as such too, even though they're both a good bit older than your truck. Those vehicles would both qualify as far as age goes to be registered as historical vehicles, but then they would legally have to be basically show pieces that see hardly any driving time... similar to what you can legally use the truck for.

In other words, do you, under the law, absolutely have to have the truck registered and insured as an antique and not as a regular vehicle?

chcr said:
Yep, that's an antique. Usually requiring special insurance and special conditions. :shrug:

Which it has...but the insurance company who insures our car doesn't get it...grrrr

Inkara1 said:
Also, is the truck also registered as a historical vehicle/antique/other similar special designation?

My parents' really old vehicles, the 1962 Fairlane and 1967 Ranchero, are both registered like regular vehicles and insured as such too, even though they're both a good bit older than your truck. Those vehicles would both qualify as far as age goes to be registered as historical vehicles, but then they would legally have to be basically show pieces that see hardly any driving time... similar to what you can legally use the truck for.

In other words, do you, under the law, absolutely have to have the truck registered and insured as an antique and not as a regular vehicle?

Nope, but if it was a regualr vehicle then I would DEFINATELY BY THE LAW have to be primary on one...and it would be much mor expensive. We are allowed to drive the truck everyday if we want to...(well...my mom can drive and I can sit in the passenger seat :p) it just can't be used for going to work or other things one NEEDS a vehicle for basically...it can be used for pleasure drives, going to visit friends, etc :)

Back