Holy shit.

That's never happened to me, either. Luckily, my DVD/CD drive is my main drive and I have a separate CD burner. If something takes out the main drive, I could always re-wire it to have the CD burner be the only CD drive and get by that way for a while. Then I'd drop from 40X to 24X (my drives are both a few years old) but it would still get me by.

Same exact thing happened to me. 32x CD ROM, a bought CD, not a copy of a kids edumacational game. Sounded like a loud *snap*. Fortunately, the CD ROM was still under warranty. I honestly though the kids had maybe stuck a banana in it or something....

Camelyn said:
Same exact thing happened to me. 32x CD ROM, a bought CD, not a copy of a kids edumacational game. Sounded like a loud *snap*. Fortunately, the CD ROM was still under warranty. I honestly though the kids had maybe stuck a banana in it or something....
Yeah, I'm sure I'd blame the kids first.....:D

Its not alltogether uncommon for a disc to have a miscroscopic flaw on the inner ring. Under such spinning stress, a tiny flaw becomes a total crash and burn in 2/10 of a second.

unclehobart said:
Its not alltogether uncommon for a disc to have a miscroscopic flaw on the inner ring. Under such spinning stress, a tiny flaw becomes a total crash and burn in 2/10 of a second.

Is there anyway a person could quickly and easily create such a flaw? Y'know, for mayde shock/comedy value at a friends house :)

Oz
Trying Desperately to look innocent

Try heating the disk to about 90-F then dip it in ice water. (process may have to be repeated 2-3 times)
I hope you have a cd-rom you don't mind trashing. :D
PS the 50X+ drives crash the best. :nerd:

Back