Home Audio>Home Theater

A.B.Normal

I'm thinking about getting the wife a Home Theater system,for her bday/wedding Anniversary to enable better sounds while watching DVDs .We have a Koss DVD player,but that would move to the bedroom if the new syatem includes a DVD player.My question is I'm not/never been that interested in Audio technology,so I need some help with what I should be looking for with regards to future compatibility (HDTV ???) and whats a reasonable system.We currently have no sound system only a portable stereo ,the DVD player is running through the TV speakers.I could really use your input ,here is a couple that are in my price range $200-$400 Cdn.,are they any good?

Sony DAVSB100

JVC TH-S3

A.B.Normal said:
I'm thinking about getting the wife a Home Theater system,for her bday/wedding Anniversary to enable better sounds while watching DVDs

So... you're planning on taking that with you after the divorce then?

Anniversary + Electrical equipment = Major dispute!!!! :rolleyes:

i agree... get her some jewelry at a store 'that also just happened to have a great deal going' on home theatre systems ;)

the sony looks pretty nice btw :D

ClaireBear said:
Anniversary + Electrical equipment = Major dispute!!!! :rolleyes:
I'm afraid that can't really be stressed enough. Even if she says "Sure honey, that sounds like a swell anniversary present" She's lying and you will pay for it.

A few hints:
Make sure it decodes dolby digital ex and dts, put special attention on dts 'cause many equipments have the dts logo with a small print "digital out" (that means it won't decode it).

5.1 is the standard by now, 6.1 or 7.1 would be better, but still a good 5.1 is more than enough, make sure to listen to the home theatre system before buying, bring your favourite cd with you and ask them to play it, if the system can play music the way it should be, it will certainly be able to play movies the way they meant to sound.

Thanks Luis ,

and to the rest :p hee-hee j/k

I went and checked out the local electronics place and I must say ,they are a little to loud for my liking ,so I may re-think it .I know she would really enjoy it as she is a movie fanatic ,Aliens,Predator ,LOR etc and I know the surround effect would be great for that as well as her meditation music ,but noise really isn't my thing ,I liked the geek aspect :nerd: She doesn't wear jewelry and I give her roses regularily and our work schedules and pet commitments rule out a stay at a "NICE" resort,so something she can enjoy year round still makes sense ,mybe she'll get me earplugs . :swing:

A.B.Normal said:
I went and checked out the local electronics place and I must say ,they are a little to loud for my liking ,so I may re-think it .I know she would really enjoy it as she is a movie fanatic ,Aliens,Predator ,LOR etc and I know the surround effect would be great for that as well as her meditation music ,but noise really isn't my thing

They are supposed to be loud, In particular Dolby Digital has a VERY WIDE dynamic range, it should play the voice volume as if someone was speaking and car explosions as if you were actually there. Some have an option to turn on or off the dynamic range compression (to remove that effect and protect your ears :lol: ).

A.B.Normal said:
...I went and checked out the local electronics place and I must say ,they are a little to loud for my liking ,...:

I think you can get them with volume controls...

/me ducks :D

We built a home theater last year and it truly adds zest to the movie. Having 5.1 ot better makes an amazing difference in the movie experince, once you make the jump its hard to go back to simple stereo.

Make that jump! you won't regret it. ;)

ResearchMonkey said:
We built a home theater last year and it truly adds zest to the movie. Having 5.1 ot better makes an amazing difference in the movie experince, once you make the jump its hard to go back to simple stereo.

Make that jump! you won't regret it. ;)

Home theater kicks ass! :headbang:

eh, i've got the whole surround system. i barely ever use it for movies so i plugged the surrounds and sub into another receiver hooked to my comp.

Now that's more like it!

I still lament the deletion of phono inputs on most low-end receivers though. I guess the built-in preamp costs too much.

Back