Home education - do you?

Aunty Em

I need some advice on home educating my youngest niece who is having and has been having problems at school. Her mother's death and the upheavels going on at the moment have increased those problems. I just don't know what to do as I haven't had to deal with these type teenage problems before.

I can help with the teenage problems, but Ards is our Token Home Schooler.

Give her some space, few months to sort herself out, its been a bad ride for her thus far it seems. In what way is she having problems at school?

We've been seriously looking into it. All those with info, please post.

Wow... where to start?

The first question is does your local government allow you to homeschool your children? In the US, this varies state to state. I don't know what the situation is in the UK and other countries.

Gonz, the legal situation in Indiana is described at the following link: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/IN.asp

The Home School Legal Defense Association has information about homeschooling laws in every state of the US. It also has links to information about homeschooling in general: how to get started, curriculum, etc.

Once you know whether you're allowed to homeschool, then you can think how to go about it. The single source that helped me more than anything else was a book written by two women, Jessie Wise and Susan Wise-Bauer. The book is The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home. It outlines a course of study, beginning with pre-school age children and going through twelfth grade. It's a blueprint for how to organize yourself, and how to think about what exactly you're trying to impart to the child. It also has suggestions for textbooks and reading materials for each grade and every subject. I highly recommend it.

The "classical" part of the classical education is that the curriculum is organized around the idea of the trivium. Way back in the old days, the three primary subjects of a basic education were grammar, logic and rhetoric. Those three subjects were known as the trivium. You learned the nuts and bolts of language, then you learned how to organize your thoughts logically, then you learned how to express your thoughts coherently. The authors take this same basic outline, but they apply it by analogy to all subjects of the curriculum. Each stage lasts for four years. Each covers the same basic material (except math), but covers it each time in greater depth.

For example, in the grammar stage of history you learn the basic facts of history: names, dates, events. You go through history in chronological order, covering a particular period each of the four years. In the logic stage, you come to understand the connections between events. You go back over the same periods of history each of those four years, but this time with an eye towards logical organization and causality. In the rhetoric stage, you repeat the study of history again, this time focusing on forming your own opinions about events, writing research papers, etc. By the time you've gone through the history like this three times, you should have a firm understanding it.

The problem of how to bring an older child into this program of instruction is addressed in the book. I can't recall what they say about it, though. I would recommend the book even if you weren't going to follow the exact program, though, just for the lists of textbooks, reading material, and general tips that they offer.

If anyone's interested, I can provide a list of the books and materials that we've used so far...

One note about homeschooling sources and organizations: most of them have a religious bent. If you're an atheist, like myself, you will occasionally come across things that make you go 'eh'. Even so, you can find something of worth in what they have to say. The HSLDA has a religious component, but they're defending the legal rights of homeschoolers. The book I lauded above was written by two Christians. It contains a chapter on religion in homeschooling, and some of the materials it recommends have a religious bent. The authors are very good about pointing out which ones are more religious, and they don't push religion except in the one chapter where it's clearly labeled as such. (It's like, "and we now pause for denomination identification.")

So the lesson is, look before you run screaming. Glean what you can from wherever you can.

Justintime said:
Give her some space, few months to sort herself out, its been a bad ride for her thus far it seems. In what way is she having problems at school?

She has been staying with me since her mum died and after a big family discussion it was decided with her agreement that she should live with Katie and me at least until her brother finished his degree in 18 months, a decision she seemed happy with at the time, as her eldest sister (21) suffers from severe stress and anxiety and is just not fit enough to look after her.

She was being teased at school and was being bullied by one boy in particular although I think the school have now got a handle on that. Nothing physical as far as I know but name calling, etc, which she obviously found very upsetting as she was also having problems with truanting before her mum died. Academically she's not very bright and has support classes, which probably didn't help the situation either.

I asked her several times whether she wanted to go back to her present school or not - I thought it would be good to try to keep things the same as much as possible. She said she did so I went with her to see her head of year this morning, then she went to class.

Apparently she walked out of school after being teased and refused to come home here or to speak to me after some major shit-stirring from her 17 year old sister, who frankly could do with a good slap sometimes. Fortunately her brother was still here so he's taking her back to London with him for a couple of days. He's going to see if he can take this semester out from his degree to help deal with the situation here, which is compounded by the fact that they lived in rented accomodation and have to vacate what has been their home for 13 years. I will phone the school in the morning to say she won't be back before Monday, although I'm not sure she will be back then.

I really don't know if I can cope with the stress this is causing me either, I've got no experience of dealing with these sorts of situations.

I've suggested she may feel happier being home taught for now and have been investigating the Education Otherwise website. Apparently it is perfectly legal for her to receive an education at home, it just has to be appropriate to her needs and we would have to de-register her with the school. I think it will be less stressful for her (and me!).

Looking at what you've posted I would say that the situation here as far as homeschooling is concerned is considerably easier.

Education Otherwise

Ardsgaine said:
I think you said somewhere else, but how old is your niece?

She's 15, she officially has 18 months to do in school before she would have to either go on to college or some sort of vocational training. I was thinking of gearing it to improve her english and math skills and some more practical job related skills. She's quite interested in IT but she only gets 1 lesson per fortnight at school, whereas she could use the computer everyday here.

Yeah, at that age what I was talking about would be overkill. You just have to hope the public school has pretty much done its job. If it's easy enough to satisfy the requirements for homeschooling where you live, then what you're saying sounds like the best deal.

Ardsgaine said:
Yeah, at that age what I was talking about would be overkill. You just have to hope the public school has pretty much done its job. If it's easy enough to satisfy the requirements for homeschooling where you live, then what you're saying sounds like the best deal.

She spent a week with me not so long ago when her mum visited my brother in Germany. As she had the time off school I got her to do some school work here for me. Nothing too intense, just to read a short story and then to write in her own words what it was about. From that I know her english is quite poor and her spelling is atrocious. If we can improve on that I think we'll be doing well. Her math is better but she'll never be an Einstein. She's one year behind in school but not statemented - I think this is probably where the problem lies with the teasing and bullying. Plus she doesn't make friends very easily and tends to be standoffish. I would have taken her out of school a long time ago personally.

Aunty Em said:
Ardsgaine said:

She spent a week with me not so long ago when her mum visited my brother in Germany. As she had the time off school I got her to do some school work here for me. Nothing too intense, just to read a short story and then to write in her own words what it was about. From that I know her english is quite poor and her spelling is atrocious. If we can improve on that I think we'll be doing well. Her math is better but she'll never be an Einstein. She's one year behind in school but not statemented - I think this is probably where the problem lies with the teasing and bullying. Plus she doesn't make friends very easily and tends to be standoffish. I would have taken her out of school a long time ago personally.

If she's amenable to it, and if it's not what she got in school, I would highly recommend covering phonics, even at the remedial level. Our daughter is fairly bright, at least in our judgement, but you can see the power of phonics when a 6 1/2 year old kid can read "archosauromorpha" with little or no help (she mispronounced the "ch" sound on the first try). If your niece can grasp basic phonics, I think you'll very likely see a vast improvement in her reading and spelling abilities.

Ards and Jan, what are you guys doing about social development? I've thought about doing home schooling, but that is the one thing that is holding me back, I'm afraid if I pull them out of school, they aren't going to learn to interact with other people the way they should. Although I do realize that alot of the influences they get at school can be bad, I think it's important that they grow socially as well. What do you guys think?

My opinion is that 90% of the social interaction learned in school is bad. Avoiding the influences of other children is probably one-third of the reason I prefer to homeschool. (Avoiding the influences of the teachers would be the other two-thirds.) :eh:

There's a girl across the road who is also being homeschooled. Anna had been playing with her the past couple of months until the other girl's mother grounded her because there was some conflict involving the two of them and the other girl's cousin. :shrug: They were getting into arguments every time they got together, but I figured that was all part of the socialization. :rolleyes:

Anyway... there's not too much I can do about getting friends out here for her. It's a small neighborhood, and I'm not driving her into town every week for extracurricular activities at this point in her life. The schoolwork is more important than stuff like that.

Really, PT, with six kids in the family, yours don't have to worry about learning to get along with others do they? I figure if Anna and Levi can learn to get along with me, they can get along with anyone. :p

Well, I have thought that too, with the six of them here, they do get a certain amount of social time anyway, but that's all relatives, and it's different from what they will encounter in the real world. I would still be concerned about outside social interaction too. I do agree with your views about the other kids and teachers too though. Some of these teachers need to be slapped around from time to time.

Aunty, first of all, I am ever so sorry for attempting to hijack your thread here.

Second, a 15 year old with poor spelling and basic english skills is going to be a handful. I agree with Jan, start with rudimentary phonics as soon as possible. If she's having trouble reading and writing, the rest is damn near impossible. I'm speaking from experience here, as my 12 year old girl is ADHD, and Bipolar like me. She was tested the end of last year to be reading and writing at a 3rd grade level, but now that we have her meds straghtened out, she's doing much better, beginning of this year she was at a 5th grade reading, 4th grade writing, still not 7th where she should be, but it's getting there. It takes alot of time and patience, especially with one that old, who is going to try to rebel from learning all together if you push too hard. I'm sure patience has to be one of your virtues though.

Well, actually, Annalyssa only has one brother, but 12 cousins, ranging in age from 8ish to 21ish, and all within fairly close proximity. We also have friends with kids that we visit, so it's not like she's living in a box.

I saw an interesting tidbit recently about the "socialization" thing. I don't know how valid it really is, but it made sense to me. This person was saying that peer socialization has been given more importance than it deserves. The person pointed out that the only time in a person's life when they interact socially almost exclusively with their own age group is during the school years. The real challenge and skill is in learning how to get along with people of all ages.

Back