Home education - do you?

I've been homeschooled on and off... Both have advantages, but you can't beat a good, proper private school. Heh. :)

PuterTutor said:
Second, a 15 year old with poor spelling and basic english skills is going to be a handful. I agree with Jan, start with rudimentary phonics as soon as possible. If she's having trouble reading and writing, the rest is damn near impossible. I'm speaking from experience here, as my 12 year old girl is ADHD, and Bipolar like me. She was tested the end of last year to be reading and writing at a 3rd grade level, but now that we have her meds straghtened out, she's doing much better, beginning of this year she was at a 5th grade reading, 4th grade writing, still not 7th where she should be, but it's getting there. It takes alot of time and patience, especially with one that old, who is going to try to rebel from learning all together if you push too hard. I'm sure patience has to be one of your virtues though.

My eldest niece had hearing problems which weren't picked up on until she was in year 4(4th grade I think) despite the fact she had hearing tests?? They said she had speech problems and gave her speech therapy! :confuse3: so she was very behind at school and had behaviour problems too. After years of wrangles with her school over extra assistance she left early with no qualifications and serious problems with reading and writing (plus severe depression) despite the fact that shes bright. After taking the pre-foundation and foundation courses at college, which were geared to her needs and receiving support from councillors and a self-help group, she is now studying art at college and intending to go on to take her diploma in art and design. She's very talented but continues to suffer from stress, anxiety and depression. As a result I'm not a fan of of our mainstream state education system as I don't think they cater to the needs of the individual. Certainly not if that individual has any physical or mental problems.

Sophie however is no where near as bright as her sister having sustained some brain damage at birth.

Back