Hot Air Balloon Festival

MrBishop

In the city of festivals (Montreal), the latest is the Montgolfiers festival... the largest Hot-Air festival in Canada.

Took my son to this festival on Saturday. We were there from 1pm to 7pm, and had a blast.

Unbeknownst to me...thanks to a lousy web-site...the balloons only take off at 6am and 6pm, so I had to amuse my son from 1-6 :p :lloyd:

There was a huge sand-box (100ft sq.), train rides, inflatable games etc... and looking at the more adult rides. The sun-stroke was a nice diversion :confused: . Then...finally, came the balloons! :swing:

If you ever get a chance to go to one of these festivals...I highly recommend it!

I took several pics...here's one of my favorites and my current compi background :D
attachment.php

Rose said:
So, did you two get to ride in one, too? :D Got any cool ariel pics?

Well...unfortunatly, I was shy the $120 p/person for a ride :(

I did get about 100 pictures though...some of them quite stunning. There's something about wildly coloured balloons against a blue sky that just screams serenity :D

MrBishop said:
Well...unfortunatly, I was shy the $120 p/person for a ride :(

I did get about 100 pictures though...some of them quite stunning. There's something about wildly coloured balloons against a blue sky that just screams serenity :D

Eep, even for the wee one? Gosh, I don't blame you for passing it up, I didn't realize how much those'd cost. Do share more pics though if you can. The first is pretty neat. :D

Rose said:
Eep, even for the wee one? Gosh, I don't blame you for passing it up, I didn't realize how much those'd cost. Do share more pics though if you can. The first is pretty neat. :D

Yeah...they only go up twice a day and have limited seating. Hence, the price.

I've got to reduce pics in size...I happened to hace this one because I wanted it as a background and set it to my work. :)

bristol is the balloon capital of the uk, if not europe. we've got one of the major manufacturers based in the city and so every year there is a mundo balloon festival in august.

my other half is a born and bred bristolian for whom bristolian means balloon-festivals at stupid times of the am. she bribed me with breakfast to take her to the 6am lift last saturday, which was quite spectacular. i have some pics but they are on print and i am too lazy to get them developed all that quickly :D

as very pretty though, especially the sloggi-sponsored balloon with the half nekkid lasses on the side...

I used to play at a big U of A tailgate party who's host was an avid balloonist. I've been up over a dozen times. It's amazingly quiet. Interestingly, you can't fly in the desert in the summer very will because the ambient air temp is so high. Oh yeah, my first time, we got up to around 8000 feet (not as high as the highest mountain, but pretty high above the valley) when the burner kicked on automatically. It had been off for at least ten minutes and to say I was unprepared would be an understatement :D. I almost jumped out of the gondola (in retrospect, I believe that would have been poor judgement).

That's really kewl, Bish! :cool:

They have a balloon festival every year in Chipley, Florida, which is about 15 miles north of where I live. They have a carnival midway, live bands, food, and lots and lots of balloons.

The look on a little kid's face is priceless as the burners roar when the balloons take off and those huge, colorful envelopes drift silently skyward.

I got a big kick out of the night burns - when they tether several balloons to the ground and float at a hundred feet or so, then they all hit their burners simultaneously and the balloons glow from within. :cool:

The ballons shaped like cartoon characters and objects are pretty neat, too.

One of my pics.....I bloody well hope that I can get it to turn out OK...I took while leaving the site. THe sun was setting, the balloons were landing in a field of corn and some of them were using their flames to slow their descent somewhat. The sun is about 1/2 way down. :D I had to stop on the side of a highway to get the shot I wanted.

I may have to Photoshop it somewhat to really get the look I want. Including removing some 'people' who got in the way of the shot and didn't bloody well want to get out of the way :mad:

Sharky...you should've seen the look on my son's face! If I hadn't been so awed myself, I'd have taken a pic of him. 125 balloons will do that :D

He kept screaming "Down down down!!!" because he didn't want the balloons to dissapear. :D

Back