How many miles on one tire?

Inkara1 said:
At 33,000, yes, replace as a set. If the tires only had 5K or 10K I'd consider just replacing one.

I generally rotate mine every 6,000 or 7,500, somewhere in that neighborhood. Actually, it's more of, "how long has it been since I rotated them? *flips through gas mileage/maintenance notebook* Shit! I better get on that."

For treadwear, you don't even need the penny. Every tire these days has treadwear indicators built in, which is several points where the concentric groove is 2/32 less deep than the rest of the groove. When your tire gets to 2/32, you'll see these lines going across the tire that are bald.

reifen-steg.gif

The other day I noticed those on the tires of the datsun, I didn't know they were meant to indicate that.

greenfreak said:
How exactly are tires repaired though? They put a patch on the inside or something?

Poke a drill through the hole to make it recieve the plug evenly then wet the plug with rubber cement,insert into hole leaving an inch or so outside the tire,cut the plug on the inside of the tire and rough up the surrounding surface apply rubber cement ,let dry till tacky and apply patch,cover with some goop to seal the repaired area,cut the plug outside the tire even with tread. I may have missed a step as they won't let me do the repairs until I'm certified.Done properly they are usually as good as new and depending on the manufacturer and speed rating of the tire you can still have several more repairs done to the same tire.Places like Walmart don't even take the tire off the rim (not a good thing) they just stick a plug into the tire from the outside :rolleyes: total time to do it properly 15-20 minutes once the vehicle gets into the shop.

HomeLAN said:
Last two foreign objects the wife picked up were both in the shoulder. Irreparable.

Pissed me directly off.
So you didn't get to pass "go" but you did get to shell out $200?

Don't accept an on-rim repair!!! A proper repair is done off rim. They buff the inside surface of the tire, and insert a stemmed patch. Looks like a small tropical drink umbrella, 2 inches around. Yes, I've used the on-rim repairs myself, and had them last for the life of the tire. But a smarter choice is to get the right patch-plug installed. Otherwise, you're inviting slow leaks.

A.B.Normal said:
Poke a drill through the hole to make it recieve the plug evenly then wet the plug with rubber cement,insert into hole leaving an inch or so outside the tire,cut the plug on the inside of the tire and rough up the surrounding surface apply rubber cement ,let dry till tacky and apply patch,cover with some goop to seal the repaired area,cut the plug outside the tire even with tread. I may have missed a step as they won't let me do the repairs until I'm certified.Done properly they are usually as good as new and depending on the manufacturer and speed rating of the tire you can still have several more repairs done to the same tire.Places like Walmart don't even take the tire off the rim (not a good thing) they just stick a plug into the tire from the outside :rolleyes: total time to do it properly 15-20 minutes once the vehicle gets into the shop.
Sorry, AB, but don't ever let them do that. That's okay as a temp repair to get you home or something, but a more permanent patch must be done from the inside. It'll have a tail that sticks out through the hole and gets cut off but there should be an actual patch on the inside. I'd never drive a car at freeway speeds with just an external plug in the hole. :shrug:

chcr said:
Sorry, AB, but don't ever let them do that. That's okay as a temp repair to get you home or something, but a more permanent patch must be done from the inside. It'll have a tail that sticks out through the hole and gets cut off but there should be an actual patch on the inside. I'd never drive a car at freeway speeds with just an external plug in the hole. :shrug:

Hey I would let them do a repair without dismounting ,I know how its supposed to be done,its Walmart I was slagging. :headbng2:

Places like Walmart don't even take the tire off the rim (not a good thing) they just stick a plug into the tire from the outside

Cheecky you drive round in cars that throw
rods but won't allow on rim plugs?

Oh the economy
the economy of it all...

I think I'm going to go the patch route and then replace the whole set next year. I'm getting it done at the dealership and although I would assume they would dismount the tire, I'm going to ask and make sure anyway when I call to make the appointment.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice. I learned a lot about tires!!

Winky said:
Cheecky you drive round in cars that throw
rods but won't allow on rim plugs?

Oh the economy
the economy of it all...
Just for clarifications sake, I was not driving the car that threw a rod and I have been pleading with her to get rid of the POS for five years. Besides, throwing a rod is much less likely to kill you than a blowout on the freeway.

One last reason to not use on-rim repairs. Balance. The tire's gonna need balanced because you just cut a hole in it, and stuffed in a different density material as filler. If they're not taking it off the rim, odds are they aren't gonna rebalance it either.

Professur said:
One last reason to not use on-rim repairs. Balance. The tire's gonna need balanced because you just cut a hole in it, and stuffed in a different density material as filler. If they're not taking it off the rim, odds are they aren't gonna rebalance it either.

I honestly don't think a plug of no more than a 1/4 inch is gonna throw your balance out ,hell ,I pick bigger rocks out of the treads.

A course it ain't
Prof is jus bein' his usual
'silly-assed' self

I was thankin' 'bout all the tyres
Id'a used over the years

Most times iffin' yous

put em' on as a set
rotate em'
keep the are in em'
ain't gotta alignment problem
and don't go runnin' over crap

thar's nevah any need to worry 'bout nuthin'
twas only iffin' the above rulz weren't followed...

thar, Wanky has spoken!

Back