How's your roof holding up?

Sharky

Mine was hunky-dory . . . or so I thought.

I have a tin roof. Low-maintenance, cheap, lasts for a hundred years, intoxicating sounds when it rains, etc. Love it.

However . . . it had been a while since I dragged out the ladders and got up there for an inspection. Today I went up on the roof to retrieve a limb that had fallen and caught on a plumbing vent pipe. I was shocked to discover that the flashing had dried, cracked, and was beginning to curl away from most of the vent pipes and in places where two planes of roof meet.

If it hadn't been for that limb, I might not have gone up there for another year or so. Now I plan to do regular inspections.

When was the last time you got up there and inspected your roof? ;)

mine's heavily pitched... not gonna climb up there, thankyouverymuch...

'sides... there's a twenty year warranty on it from when I had it re-shingled ten years ago... I think... :retard:

Ms Ann Thrope said:
mine's heavily pitched... not gonna climb up there, thankyouverymuch...

'sides... there's a twenty year warranty on it from when I had it re-shingled ten years ago... I think... :retard:

Ja - but is the warranty for the shingles themselves, or does it cover craftsmanship and such things as flashing?

Mine's pretty steep, too, and two stories high . . . that's why I procrastinated on getting up there. Maybe a friend or relative would check yours for you? A lot of things can go wrong in ten years . . .

Sorry, didn't mean to introduce another worry into your day. :blank:

too high and too steep here too. can see if fine from the ground.

BTW ..love the av sharky A4U Corsair. :thumbup:

Spot said:
too high and too steep here too. can see if fine from the ground.

BTW ..love the av sharky A4U Corsair. :thumbup:

Thanks, Spot - my father was a carrier-based Navy fighter pilot in WWII, and it was one of his favorite planes, second only to the Grumman F6F Hellcat, which he always described as an airborne Corvette. :cool:

Inkara1 said:
I live in a downstairs apartment. No roof inspecting for me.

ditto. Although, the way those people thump around upstairs, I'm fully expecting someone to fall through it one of these days. :retard:

With the way some apartments are built around here, you could have a roach scurry across the kitchen floor and it would sound like it was raining bowling balls to the people downstairs.

Inkara1 said:
With the way some apartments are built around here, you could have a roach scurry across the kitchen floor and it would sound like it was raining bowling balls to the people downstairs.

How close are you to the Fault Line? :eek:

About an hour and a half's drive, on the other side of a bunch of hills.

Actually, the "weaker" design is better in earthquakes because it can flex.

I've heavily soldered the trailer's roof. But this year, I'm pulling it off and putting a point up. Haven't decided wether to to go shingle or steel. Steel would come out a shitload lighter, and go up faster, but it's much harder to work into the design I wanted.

You can see mine fine from the ground. Everything looks OK, and we had it checked about 18 months ago by a pro.

Had to reseal around one passive vent, that was it.

Inkara1 said:
About an hour and a half's drive, on the other side of a bunch of hills.

Actually, the "weaker" design is better in earthquakes because it can flex.

That wouldn't be "weaker" it just depends on the properties of the material...brittle versus elasto-plastic materials...

Hence the quote marks around weaker. Although if a tornado were to come dancing through town out here, we'd be worse off than if most new construction out here were heavy brick like it is in Texas.

Inkara1 said:
Hence the quote marks around weaker. Although if a tornado were to come dancing through town out here, we'd be worse off than if most new construction out here were heavy brick like it is in Texas.

Indeed but I assume since your buildings are not built to with stand tornados that there is a very low chance of a tornado passing through.

The chance is low, but it can happen. It's rare because the cold air from Canada doesn't meet the warm air from the Caribbean here like it does over the midwest.

A couple of years ago, Fresno State was having its yearly festival called Vintage Days, which is an expo and fair of sorts. Overnight between two of the days of the event, a small tornado struck campus and destroyed the beer tent.

Back