HP takes back PC crown

greenfreak

HP takes back PC crown

Hewlett-Packard snatches No. 1 spot back from Dell Computer in bitter battle.
January 16, 2003: 6:01 PM EST

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Hewlett-Packard Co. snatched back the title of world's biggest personal computer maker from Dell Computer Corp. in the fourth quarter, research group IDC said Thursday.

In what has become a quarter-by-quarter struggle for dominance, Hewlett-Packard ended up with 16.1 percent of the market, while Dell held 15.7 percent, IDC said.

HP's market share increased because more of its business comes from consumers, who bought PCs during the holiday season. Dell's customer base has a larger percentage of corporations in it and they held back on buying new computers because of concerns about profitability.

HP bought Compaq Computer in May of last year, catapulting it over Dell into the No. 1 personal computer spot. Then in the third quarter, Dell regained the spot.

Source: CNN

Never though that was gonna happen.

Let's see. Compaq bought Digital, to get the top spot. Then lost it. HP bought Compaq to get the top spot.

Any takers?

All i meant was that they must be doing something right if they're #1 again which means they might be worth taking another look at.

That would be cool, then we could get pc/macs that aren't compatible with macs or pcs, and the only thing you could trade hardware between would be your toaster.

Not much of my hardware is compatible with each other, and I toast most of it anyway so it won't be that much different. :beerbang:

HeXp£Øi± said:
All i meant was that they must be doing something right if they're #1 again which means they might be worth taking another look at.

All they did "right" was buy another manufacturer of crappy home PCs, thus combining the market share of the two companies to beat Dell.

I've got a HP Pahellion Notebook sitting here on my desk that is giving me a fucking fit. Sometimes the display works, sometimes it doesn't. No recognizable pattern yet.

Back