hybrid mileage comes up short

Mirlyn

Hybrid Mileage Comes Up Short
By John Gartner
02:00 AM May. 11, 2004 PT

...Blackshaw's hybrid euphoria vanished as his car's odometer revealed that the gas mileage he was hoping for was only a pipe dream. Honda's Civic Hybrid is rated by the EPA to get 47 miles per gallon in the city, and 48 mpg on the highway. After nearly 1,000 miles of mostly city driving, Blackshaw was getting 31.4 mpg...

Hmmm, this could get interesting.

Link to article: http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,63413,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1
This guy's blog, narrating his quest for an answer from Honda: http://hybridbuzz.blogspot.com/

They wouldn't lie about the mileage, would they. I'll have to wait til I get home to read the whole thing.

chcr said:
They wouldn't lie about the mileage, would they. I'll have to wait til I get home to read the whole thing.
From what I gather, summary says the EPA/Honda use tests that don't fully show the mileage of a car, and in this case (being a hybird versus full-blown gas), the tests came out with completely unrealistic results, possibly for marketing hype. Typically the stated mileage on a new car is within error, but not to this degree.

Image-7A3A83EC544311D8.jpg

With reduced fuel efficiency, I wonder if anyone has done revised calculations to determine the true environmental/cost improvements (or lack thereof) over conventional combustion engines that hybrid cars are touted to provide?

*too tired to goggle it, maybe later*

Fuck it, my eclipse gets 35 with straight gas. Guess the hybrid just isn't worth it.

PuterTutor said:
Fuck it, my eclipse gets 35 with straight gas. Guess the hybrid just isn't worth it.
Exactly what I thought. My mustang gets between 26 and 29. :shrug:

Supposedly that Honda is to get nearly 50mpg. 30 and 50 are slightly far apart.

the milage results are under optimum conditions. things like a cold snap will put a serious dent in your mileage.
i like the idea of the hybrids. just going to wait a generation or 2 till the technoogy improves.

Honda also claims 10k between oil changes too. again, under optimal conditions that wont exist in the real world.

Spot said:
the milage results are under optimum conditions. things like a cold snap will put a serious dent in your mileage.
i like the idea of the hybrids. just going to wait a generation or 2 till the technoogy improves.

Honda also claims 10k between oil changes too. again, under optimal conditions that wont exist in the real world.

Screw that. I'm waiting for hydrogen. Why do you think I don't smoke in my car? :grinno:

Gato_Solo said:
Screw that. I'm waiting for hydrogen. Why do you think I don't smoke in my car? :grinno:

Yep, hydrogen fuel cells. :grinyes:

No doubt the eco-freaks will complain about how we're changing the environment by adding water vapor to the atmospere. :shrug:

During the winter months some states change the formulation of their fuels because of cold conduitions and gas mileage plummets for all gasoline vehicles. A quick check of his blog looks like his fuel economy was judged over the winter months .

Just like most of the biggest businesses....They won't let anyone
come up with a cheap solution that doesn't involve oil somehow.
There's so much money involved there that somebody's gonna
hire a hitman before it gets too far.

I truly believe that we could have cars that separate water molecules.
and create hydrogen to fuel it by now, if this weren't the case.
I furthermore believe it could be done with in a reasonable cost,
considering what new cars cost now.

A.B.Normal said:
During the winter months some states change the formulation of their fuels because of cold conduitions and gas mileage plummets for all gasoline vehicles. A quick check of his blog looks like his fuel economy was judged over the winter months .
As much as I'd be inclined to agree, wouldn't you think the dealer/manufacturer could say something to that effect, rather than blowing him off?

chcr said:
Yep, hydrogen fuel cells. :grinyes:

No doubt the eco-freaks will complain about how we're changing the environment by adding water vapor to the atmospere. :shrug:

Not fuel cells. Liquid, or gaseous, hydrogen. I know the explosive qualities of hydrogen, but they aren't that much more than gasoline.

Inkara1 said:
How heavy is his foot? That makes a big difference, too.

Exactly what I was thinking. H heavy foot dragging around 12 car batteries is gonna drive down anyone's milage.

As for oil, in my first car, I had installed permanent synthetic when I bought it. Nothing more than changing the filter, and topping up for the first three years. Then my dad took it in for a repair, and *DOH* had the guy do an oilchange!!!! Do you know how hard it is to get a crankcase full of aircraft synthetic??? Twice?

I only use Mobile1 syn in my main vehicle. I've had it a little over a
year, and have only had to top it off once. I'm going to do a filter
change at the end on summer.

Gato_Solo said:
Not fuel cells. Liquid, or gaseous, hydrogen. I know the explosive qualities of hydrogen, but they aren't that much more than gasoline.

Regular IC engines require significant redesign to run on straight hydrogen. Hydrocarbons have some lubrication qualities that straight hydrogen lacks. The popular workaround (as I understand it) is to inject a small amount of a clean burning lubricant in with the hydrogen. The explosive differences are insignificant though, except in the minds of consumers. The biggest thing I have against hydrogen fueled IC engines is the incredible waste of energy. Up to 75% of an internal combustion engine's produced energy is simply thrown away as waste heat (the really well designed ones still waste 40% or so). Fuel cells (for instance with an electric motor on each wheel) are more efficient and simpler. They're also much farther away (I think).;) I'm a sucker for efficient solutions.

I personally like the idea of flywheel storage too. What we really need though, is a room temperature superconductor.

Note, I just bought a 97 Ford Contour. I drove it from Trenton, NJ to here, rarely dropping below 80 mph (frequently at 90+). I averaged 28.6 miles per gallon.

chcr said:
Fuel cells (for instance with an electric motor on each wheel) are more efficient and simpler. They're also much farther away (I think).;) I'm a sucker for efficient solutions.

I dunno if its all that far away....
It seems since the introduction of mp3 players, new cell-phones,
and other high energy required stuff, that the battery technology
has been booming the last several years.
I'm seeing more and and better batteries showing up all the time. ;)

Efficiency of batteries still can't approach fuel cells. Battery cars may become practical commuters (maybe they already are), but I think fuel cells are the future for cars and trucks. On the other hand, I know a guy with an electric Ford Ranger and he puts a Coleman generator in the back to make trips to Atlanta twice a month. With that as a supplement, he says he can get close to 250 miles before the performance dies away (between 2.5 and 3 gallons of gas). He gets about sixty miles a charge with no help. Note that every three to four years he has to replace the batteries at about 3,000 bucks.

Back