i am hotter than hell

G

it's 92 F in this room right now...could someone order up a good snowstorm, please :headbang:

i have fans going and windows open, but it doesn't cool out much until later at night around 1-2 am. 8' ceilings here and two storys.

All of northern Illinois is in the mid 70s right now. If you have fans in the windows it should be fairly nice right in there right now. How do youhave your fans set up? There may be a more efficient approach.

I've got 4 of 'em going in the house right now, I tell ya. The temp has fallen about 4 degrees since I posted the thread. It's about 88-89 in here now. Ahh, the relief. :headbang:

Do you have them up in the window frames so as to grab the outside air instead of just pushing the inside air about?

Are two of them on the opposite side of the house blowing outwards so as to mimic an attic fan draw? That should drag the temp down in 5 min flat.

It gets really hot in the upstairs rooms of this house I'm in, even though the downstairs remains pleasantly cool.

that's what i was talking about...all the heat goes upstairs of a night

Yeah. Fucking sucks big fat hairy donkey balls. Someone should rewrite the laws of physics...but then, they'd probably stick me downstairs and move themselves upstairs. :retard:

a large attic can affect cooling, particularly if there are no windows in it

s4 said:
a large attic can affect cooling, particularly if there are no windows in it
I'm assuming you meant that it affects it in a bad way, meaning it warms things up inside the house?

This house has an attic. I don't know if it would be considered large or not. It covers the entire house...like 25'x30' or something...and the roof slopes down from the center in standard gable style.

There are two vents on the opposing gable ends.

The floors of the attic, or in other words the ceilings of the upstairs, are insulated. The inside of the actual roof, or in other words the ceiling of the attic, is not insulated. (Should it be?)

I drank a few x-large cups of coffee a couple hours ago and started sweating all over. Guess I let my tolerance drop.

i never drink coffee in the summer

sorry, JJR but i don't know the answer to that question. my attic is very large.

Its getting colder soon, i hope! summer was warm, but last year was a scorcher, so maybe winter will be colder this time around! :headbang:

jjr, that construction is called a cold roof construction, it's a standard system.

the up side of it is that you're not heating the empty attic space and technically saving on the heating bill. the downside is that if you want to use it then you'll need to insulate it up otherwise you'll freeze up there.

finally, a practical use for my degrees!

I get it. Except it's not always cold, of course; at this time of year, it's hotter than fresh African elephant shit up there!

What's your degree in? Can you tell me if insulating the inside of the roof would do anything? Let me think...if the insulation in the ceiling saves on energy bills in the winter, because energy isn't wasted heating the attic, then that must mean the heat is being trapped below the ceiling...which would mean that the same thing is happening in the summer, too, the heat is being trapped in the upstairs area. If the insulation were removed from the ceiling, and moved to the inside of the roof, in the winter, that would be a waste of energy, but in the summer, would that let the heat that's being trapped in the upstairs level migrate even further up, into the attic, which would keep things a bit cooler down here on the upper level? Does that make any sense?

yup makes perfect sense. the reality is that to stop a house getting way too hot in the summer is to increase the air movement through it, ideally across the whole volume.

in very warm countries like india and malaysia the appraoch is to cross ventitation, especially that which makes use of height to help pull the hot oair up and out of the building [known as stack ventilation]. you could open up the windows in the roof and leave the access hatch to the attic open.

i've got a bsc in architectural studies, a barch in architecture and an mphil in architectural and urban design. if i had the msc in environmental design then i might be able to help more, as it is i'm going from my lectures in the bsc )

Back