i am hotter than hell

I've had to deal with heat rising a lot too. The only problem is that I live in an upstairs apartment, so I can't just go downstairs where it's cool. I'm also racking up $260 power bills trying to keep it cool... because the A/C will run all day but never cool the place down.

yeah it's bitch. it's 95 F right now in here. i can run all the fans i want and it wont cool down much.

as for the insulation question, if you have your home insulated, it is supposed to keep the heat out in the summer as well as the heat in during the winter. removing the insulation is a bad idea. you might try blocking off rooms and trying to use ac on smaller areas. i've tried it before and had minor success.

I didn't mean removing the insulation altogether; I was just curious about what the effects would be if it was moved from the floor of the attic (the upstairs ceilings) to the ceiling of the attic (inside the roof). I postulated that perhaps the insulation, being right over my head, basically, might have been trapping the heat inside the upper rooms, so my theory was that if I moved the insulation higher up, to inside the actual roof, that might allow the heat to move higher up.

What I did do a couple weeks ago, though, was I closed off some of the AC vents downstairs (forcing more of the cold air to come out of the upstairs vents), made sure all the upstairs ones were opened and not blocked, closed the blinds in the front room (which faces mostly south), and also opened the door to one of the upstairs rooms which used to be always closed before (I opened that door because it was a bathroom and had an AC vent in it, and I figured, why let that one unused bathroom trap some cold air?). All of that seems to have had a positive effect, although extremely small.

Back