i did something i haven't done in at least 10 years

thou, i just find out that the rhynoceront died a few weeks ago, i remember we had 2, i guess the other died before as well :(

I didn't see the Cougar, Bengala Tiger (??) or the Jaguar either.

It was also a bit sad to read many "Species Status: in danger of extintion"

The zoo in Singapore is amazing. The animals are not in cages, but rather, they are persuaded not to cross the line.

Luis, did you bring the camera with you? That's a great place to get some nice pictures. Although I had done a little research after my last trip to the zoo about animals exhibiting obsessive/compulsive behavior because they've been cooped up in there too long. :(

yes, i brought my camera (took about 30-40 pics), but it is tricky to get nice pictures when a fence is between the animal and the camera.

Thou, some doesn't have a fence like the Jirafs, Elephants, Sea Lions and Hipopotamus.

I'll post some pics as soon as i dl them.

About the obsesive behavior, i saw it in very few animals, especially the young ones, i saw a baby leopard that couldn't stop walking in the same pattern near the door of his cage, i felt kind of sad and almost anxious of seeing that, but i guess that's the only way they get used to it.

Jeslek said:
The zoo in Singapore is amazing. The animals are not in cages, but rather, they are persuaded not to cross the line.

Interesting, however i don't know what's worse, a physical cage or a mental one.

There are some zoos where the animals are free to go as they please, you get into those in a jeep, very african safari style. We don't have one of those in Morelia thou.

i love seeing the animals in the zoo but a part of me feels sorry for them too in a way. but they are cool places. i like the one in DC

Jeslek said:

cool! :) thanks for pointing that out...i'm sure to visit it upcoming summer then :)

ok, just checked the website...looks pretty cool :D

*adds to list*

The crowning achievement in the technique of psychological restraint is to exhibit animals without the use of barriers at all; in other words, the animals are completely free to move around if they wish to do so but have been conditioned to stay within a designated area. The Singapore Zoo has achieved this with colonies of free-ranging tamarins, marmosets, squirrel monkeys, ring-tailed lemurs, silvered-leaf langurs and birds.

is there any other zoo in the world who uses psychological restraint? :confuse3: never heard of it before until you pointed it out....

They are constantly upgrading the enclosures at our local zoo to make them as large and natural as possible... it's located about 3 miles out of town in the country, but I have noticed that there is one bear in particular who exibits obssessive behaviour, but he's been there as long as I can remember.

It's quite a hilly location so Katie and I get in for half price (disabled & helper) since she has to go in her wheelchair as she can't manage the walk... God I wish it was electric!... they have a road train that goes around the bottom area of the zoo though so I do get a bit of a rest down there, and we usually try to take the easier route... going up a 1 in 8 incline is not my idea of fun and going down with no breaks is impossible. I've got to arrange a service for her wheelchair, I think I'm going to ask about fitting bicycle type brakes for me to use when I'm pushing her... there must be a way... it's got to be better than hanging on for dear life and hoping that you don't slip and let go!

sheez....mr garen should follow a html course, that's for sure :eek: fucked up reading....
he is right, it's strange that those animals are still around over there, but the zoo has become a symbol for the strength of afghanistan i assume....

The trouble with arranged visits is that it gives people time to clean up their act. I'd like to see unannounced visits and spot checks.

:disgust2: :( I've always thought of zoos as a source of educational entertainment... Now I'm changing my mind. The more you think about it, the more unfair it seems to these animals.

I had a feeling of deja vu with this thread... Now I know why. I posted about this at JJR512 a while back.

Back