I flashed my BIOS...

Aunty Em

... three times! :lol:

I've noticed the Barton 2500+ (333) has dropped in price so I flashed my BIOS to take it on the KD7E.

Now I KNOW they're backwards compatible, but when I flashed the latest one and checked in the BIOS it didn't have the 2500+ listed so I thought "Oh shit, I did the wrong one", so I reflashed it with the one below which lists the 2500+ in the readme file only to discover that it's not listed in that BIOS either. So I had to reflash the other one... oh pratt that I am! :rofl2:

Anyhow... it now supports all of these Athlon XP 2500+ (333), 2800+ (333), 3000+ (333) CPU. And these Barton 2600+(333 FSB)and Thorton2000+(266 FSB)/2200+(266 FSB)/2400+(266 FSB)/2600+(333 FSB). :)

I didn't know there was a Thorton...

Aunty Em

Woah... what gives! MBM5 is now recording my core temp as 44C. Is this an example of them fixing the BIOS to read 10C lower I wonder?

Update:

Yes it is... I just rebooted and checked the BIOS... it's recording the correct temperature there... damn, do they think we're all sissies and can't handle knowing the truth? :rolleyes:

Aunty Em

It certainly seems so in this case as it was reading correctly in the bios before the update and still is.

It'd quite disconcerting to see it at that temperature, I keep thinking I'm on the wrong computer! :lol:

kvm - I switch from one to the other....

I'm not worried about the temperature anyway... according to AMD they take the maximum temperature from the top of the diode anyway, not the core. Plus the overheat alarm and cutoff are connected to the socket temperature not the core, and that's about 40C which makes it lower than the TBird now. Anyway, they're both stable so... :shrug:

cubcake1

I dont ever trust motherboard temps. I install an external device and put the leads under the chip, more accurate and no worries about a fussy bios.

Aunty Em

Actually there's a 6-7C difference in the core temperature, but the socket temperature, which is what most of the older boards rely on, is the same at around 38 - 40C. Not all new boards can read the core temp... So do I say my board is running at the socket temp or the core temp... :shrug:

I think if I want an accurate temperature based on AMDs own measurements I will have to put a probe between the diode and heatsink.