I have a junk IBM drive

octal

I've got 2 45 GB IBM hard drives and a few months ago I thought my data drive was dying...unfortunatly it turned out to be my system drive with my home directory and everything else that makes me who I am. So I bought a seagate to replace it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to approach IBM to get my drive replaced? I've only had it for about 1.25 years, so I think it's still covered under warranty.

Pitching it through the window of the local shop should do some good.

If I remember the paperwork right, that would probably void the warranty. 'Cept in Texas of course.:gun2:

professur said:
If I remember the paperwork right, that would probably void the warranty. 'Cept in Texas of course
that wasn't the cause of the malfunction though, would it still apply?

I expect that a bullet riddled drive would be refused as abused, regardless of the original defect. To start with, it's unrepairable. Most returned drives are dismantled and the parts used to repair other defectives. That's why sometimes you can send in a 2.5G and get a 4G back, and the next week you send in a 2.5G and you get a 2.5G back. Depends on what they have in stock.

Oh, just FYI, since we're on the topic. Be careful when returning a nearly new, or new part to a manufacturer. I know for a fact that then often replace a nearly new part with a repaired one, that's who know how old. While repaired parts are "factory spec", it's still a used part. Try to return it to a reseller, and get a new retail part whenever possible.

good point, i just sent an RMA request to ati for my radeon that overheats after about 5 minutes of gameplay

I know that many Maxtors (if not all) come with 3 year and a Western Digital we checked out last weekend only had 1 year so you'll probably need to check with them first. If it's under warranty, I would go for the return just on principle.

Rusty bought a 40gb ATA133 Maxtor Diamondmax 8 from newegg.com, it had 19mb in bad sectors, returned it. Got the same drive from googlegear.com and got one with 11mb in bad sectors, that one's being returned also. We finally bit the bullet on Saturday and bought a 60gb it from a local computer store; perfectly fine.

I think the two previous hard drives were 'refurbished' although they didn't say on the order.

I'd had a Maxtor 8GB drive I got a few years back that started to go bad on me (at least it seemed to). I sent it to Maxtor, and they lost it. UPS showed that it had been signed for, so they went ahead and sent me another drive. The new drive said "remanufactured" on it, but it was working as of late last year when I sold the system it was in for grocery money. That's about 3 years or so.

aye, but IBM refurbished drives seem to die alot more than anyone elses, i've had one last a day and another DOA, hear alot of similar stories on the net and fro other people.

he probably never did either, i can't say for sure, but it's probably still sittig on his desk under a stack of papers.

Back