i need advice on college, degrees, and careers.

If you like college stay with it because once you have your pre-reqs. finished it isn’t that hard to change your mind even after you get a degree. If you get a 4 year and decide you hate "insert degree area" you can always go back for a year or two later in life and get a second degree by transferring the undergrad credits you already have to a new degree field.

If you hate school than stop, don't waste the money and time. if you have a skill and experience some companies will pay for you to finish your classes. This may take longer but it is a cheaper system and you do it at your pace.

Winky said:
Here's the real deal.

do what EVER it takes right now

to get ANY degree (four year)
(makes it cake to go back and get an Masters later heh)

*Gasp* He's right.

It also teaches you to finish what you start (something I wish I'd learned at your age), and even if you're not studying in the field you eventually decide on, it gives your life direction. Purpose is nice but direction is far more important.

One more point: A Bachelor of Science in general makes it easier to get work than a Bachlor of Arts, but any 4-year degree makes you more employable to human resources people. Ask HomeLAN.

ekahs retsam said:
If you like college stay with it because once you have your pre-reqs. finished it isn’t that hard to change your mind even after you get a degree. If you get a 4 year and decide you hate "insert degree area" you can always go back for a year or two later in life and get a second degree by transferring the undergrad credits you already have to a new degree field.

If you hate school than stop, don't waste the money and time. if you have a skill and experience some companies will pay for you to finish your classes. This may take longer but it is a cheaper system and you do it at your pace.

I dunno about other places but around here once you graduate you have to start over again...like, I will graduate with a Bacholar of Engineering in Civil Engineering in April, if I wanted a minor in something I would have to complete the requirements for that minor before graduating. Once I have my degree I have to start all over again to get another one.

Nixy said:
I dunno about other places but around here once you graduate you have to start over again...like, I will graduate with a Bacholar of Engineering in Civil Engineering in April, if I wanted a minor in something I would have to complete the requirements for that minor before graduating. Once I have my degree I have to start all over again to get another one.

At Indiana it depends. I graduated with a bachelors in telecommunications. If I wanted to get a bachelors in computer science (which is in the same "school"), I would only have to complete any additional requirements, so mostly major classes and probably a few math classes. If I wanted to get a bachelors in finance (which is in the business school) I would have to start over.

rrfield said:
At Indiana it depends. I graduated with a bachelors in telecommunications. If I wanted to get a bachelors in computer science (which is in the same "school"), I would only have to complete any additional requirements, so mostly major classes and probably a few math classes. If I wanted to get a bachelors in finance (which is in the business school) I would have to start over.

Even if you actually graduated and received your diploma?? My roommate is doing an extra semester, she will have all her requirements for an English degree after her 4 years but she wants a minor in history so she can't apply for graduation until she has that completed...both are the school of humanities.

Nixy said:
Even if you actually graduated and received your diploma?? My roommate is doing an extra semester, she will have all her requirements for an English degree after her 4 years but she wants a minor in history so she can't apply for graduation until she has that completed...both are the school of humanities.
Thats crazy. You're saying she would have to go back and take the English Comp, Western Civ, all that crap?

I'm with the majority here though Ash, get the degree. Today's job market is quite a bit different than it was even ten years ago. A degree will get you in a lot more doors than without one. Even if it's not in the major, you will notice alot of jobs require a four year degree, not necesarily in the field the job is even in. The CIO (Chief Info Officer) at my place right now has a degree in Visual Arts. The three under him have degrees in History, Graphic design and I think English. Seems nuts that of the four people in charge of the IS dept, none have a degree in IS, but it happens often.

Nixy said:

Different situation. You are describing picking up a minor, not a second bachelors. At this point I could not add a minor to my degree, though I could get a second bachelors (with a minor if I wanted) just by taking the required classes.

rrfield said:
Different situation. You are describing picking up a minor, not a second bachelors. At this point I could not add a minor to my degree, though I could get a second bachelors (with a minor if I wanted) just by taking the required classes.

hmmmm I dunno how that would work then.

Back