I need HELP!!!!!

MrBishop

I am getting a weird message that is forcing ym system to shut-down and restart without me having a choice in the matter. The message pops up after attempting to go to OTC. I get a pop-up that says that I have a shut-down request hailing from

NT authority/system

Because of an inability to do a
“Remote procedural call (RPC)”

I am using WinXP…under Office 2K Pro

Please reply if you kow what this is and what the fuck to do about it.
Thanks

deBish

Please help!!!

wierd....my friend was just telling me about his computer doing this too.

Are you up to date? I bet 90% of the updates available for Windows XP are patches to fix RPC threats/vulnerabilities.

reading more into it...

EDIT: the original url is a very long one and it gets cut off. So here goes another. http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=...-8&[email protected]

Looks like this is the big one they were talking about a week ago or so. Newsgroups are hella busy with this one, just in the past few days many, many people are reporting these errors.

Everyone better update if they haven't already. The Symantec site shows how to get rid of it if you've got it already.

Mirlyn said:
reading more into it...

EDIT: the original url is a very long one and it gets cut off. So here goes another. http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=uZBb9uHYDHA.1204%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl

Looks like this is the big one they were talking about a week ago or so. Newsgroups are hella busy with this one, just in the past few days many, many people are reporting these errors.

Everyone better update if they haven't already. The Symantec site shows how to get rid of it if you've got it already.

Thanks Mirlyn! Got the DL going and 1.4mb later I was loading it up. The 1 minute warning came on and I just managed to finish installing the patch before I got kicked. I've been on for a while now with no shutdown.

Fuck but what a pain. THANK YOU!!!!

steweygrrrr said:
is this do with that buggy windblows 'hotfix' that screws with your system?

I guess so, but it sure as hell felt like a virus to me. I've gotten other emails about it since last night, and it seems like it might be an exploitative virus that affects the server that you use (ISP) to go online. It opens you up to data theft though...cuts through your firewall like a hot knife through butter because your firewall thinks that it's a basic ISP request...and your ISP is allowed by your firewall...thus, naked and defencless to hackers.

Why I had to do a fix is beyond me...if I'm not the one affected, why am I patcheing my system?

Mirlyn said:
reading more into it...

EDIT: the original url is a very long one and it gets cut off. So here goes another. http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=...-8&[email protected]

It would help if Windows Updree.had any critical updates for me. :shrug:

Anyway, at microsoft they are just stupids, why put RPC on regular windows editions. The moment i studied RPC i knew they were vulnerable and when i find out that win2k and XP had it i knew this will come one day.

I just found out that all of our Citrix servers were infected last night. That's at least 50 servers. Service was down for hours while they came in and fixed it up.

hehe i *knew* this is what it was. you can also boot in safemode, look at everything that runs its usually named with random keystrokes, run it, or if you dont know what it is try openning taskmanager if it closes it automatically thats what you want to delete :)

Just in case anyone doesn't know what RPC is.

RPC stands for Remote Procedure Call, and it is intended to make easier the move to distributed computing, the calling platform request a remote PC to process a request of a given service in the server PC, after it is completed the server PC sends the results back to the client.

It is a great idea, but the average user won't use it, and normal programs won't use it either, then why put it as a requirement for windows to run? (yes, disable RPC service and the OS won't work). Why not put this as an installable service?, or perhaps leave it by default in Server editions.

This is the very same mistake they made when making NetBIOS active by default and configured to accept a connection from any IP in the whole world. And is also the same mistake they made with the UPNP interface, and now this.

They try to add functionality to the OS and the only result is a highly vulnerable OS with a bunch of possible backdoors open.

Maybe the answer for this, is that MS is trying to move the NT architecture to the distributed computing, and using every user as a beta tester.

Just did the updates on my computers here at home. Don't know if I had anything yet or not, but at least I won't now.

They tried to install the patches last night and our main file server is going to be down all day. They're restoring from the last full backup, 5 days ago. :eek:

These are the days I'm glad I'm not 1st level support. :D

Back