I need your help

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
As many of you know, tomorrow and on friday i'm presenting an acceptance test to be able to study for a master degree. And a portion of the test is about the english language, so i'd like you guys/girls to help me by pointing out my mistakes (even the smallest ones and those in this post).

Instead of replying to the thread that contains the post i wrote erroneously, copy the sentence, put the correct form and reply here.

Thanks. :)

Spot said:
...if i had ever eaten....

you rarely make mistakes Luis. your english is probably better than mine.
Capitalize all uses of the letter I in the self-referencing form (e.g. I am, I'm, I've, I have, but not Idiot, unless it is the first word in the sentence)

I'm bored so I'm going through all your old posts... Hope you don't mind. :D

the RW forum are not only meant to contain threads regarding news events

The RW forum [is] not only meant to contain threads... It's a singular object. If there were more than one RW forum, it would be "The RW forums are not only meant to contain threads..."

That kind of things are not likely to happen in my school

That kind of thing is not likely to happen in my school. Same reason, singular/plural.

wow, if a uni allows that, then it gives something to talk about their reputation.

This is kind of semantics but I probably would have said, "If uni allows that, then it says something about their reputation."

Yesterday i did the purity test and it asked me if i ever eated veal, i thought wtf, is that a bad thing?

Use ate instead of eated. Eated really isn't a word.

unless i've known them from a long time and they deserve extras from me

known them for a long time

Yeah, i know the feeling, that's why i try so hard to listen to my own advices when i'm in trouble, unfortunately, i can't :confused:

I've seen other people use "advices" instead of "advice" but Americans typically just use "advice."

We are always affraid of drastic changes in our lives, i've come to realize that we are always affraid of losing what we have or what we might have right now, but we never think of what we will have in the future if we decide to make the change.

afraid has one f.

When my mom was pregnant (of me) she had this obsession of eating fish, any type

(with me)

That's it for now... Just went back a few pages. Hope it helps, good luck man. You don't need it, your English has amazed me from the day you started posting. Most of the time, I'd never know it wasn't your first language.

Agreed. You make more of an effort to post good English than many people on bulletin boards whose native language is English.

fury said:
In this case it's not a mistake, but for future reference, in case you don't already know, neither and either are one and the same, the first is used directly after a vowel sound and the other is directly used after a consonant sound. As in, "Me neither," or "I didn't either." (Note that periods and commas remain inside quotes too ;))

Ohhh, that's some help, i thought "neither" was used when you agree (or express the same situation) to something negative and "either" when it is about something positive. Thanks for the clarification.

greenfreak said:
That kind of thing is not likely to happen in my school. Same reason, singular/plural.

ok, so what's the right form for the plural?

those kinds of thing? or those kinds of things?
those kind of things? :confuse3:

Thanks everybody for the compliments on my english skills :)

Those kinds of things are not likely to happen at my school.

Kind used in this context is more of a helper noun, so it should be in the same form as the noun that it is referring to (they should both be either singular or plural - in this case the sentence makes more sense when they are both plural).

The book i suggested to gf explains that we all need to have interaction with other humans wether it is a possitive or negative interaction (called caress), the important thing in this is that we need the caress in order to be unconsciously satisfied.

I know it is whether, it was a typo :D
I feel that i speak in a somewhat redundant way, I'm always wondering how can I express my thoughts in English without having to repeat words from a previous sentence, in this case i had to use "interaction" 2 times.

That's just fucking English. It seems rather repetitive, just as Spanish seems backwards to most of us. By the way, Those kinds of things is right, or That kind of thing. That is one, Those is plural of That. That makes no sense now, does it?

Por Que? Because that's just the way it is. Seriously though, unless they are expecting perfect English, you'll do great. And if they are expecting perfect English, I should probably shut up now.

If they are expecting perfect English, I'll be surprised. It's not common for even English professors to expect that much attention to detail. At least not around here. They'll sure get on your ass about incorrect punctuation, misspelling, but as far as a situation where several different forms of a sentence all produce correct or mostly correct grammar, I haven't really had any problem in regards to that when I am at an English test.

I'd prolly drive them nuts then...:lol: Good luck, Luis. I think you have a fine command of the language. Much better than I. ...or is it me? :retard:

The date of the test got moved, it will be next Thursday and Friday, more time to study math, Java, and to correct some of my common mistakes in English. :headbang:

Squiggy said:
I'd prolly drive them nuts then...:lol: Good luck, Luis. I think you have a fine command of the language. Much better than I. ...or is it me? :retard:
It'd be "Much better than I do."

Then again, it wouldn't be that either, cause it's a sentence fragment. :lol:

:D

Back