I-pod questions.

IDLEchild

1) Scenario: I have windows at home and Mac at school. I want to put songs from windows and use it as a giant memory card for school macs...is it possible? Are i-pods platform dedicated or can an i-pod work with Windows and Mac?...Very important question...my main question actually.

2) Once songs are put on an i-pod from a certain computer does i-pod recognize that computer as the only one it will take songs from and PUT BACK IN? Sony Net-MD does that as a piracy prevention measure (will take song from any computer but will only empty songs into the first computer it was used on)?

3) Question #1 again. Will it. I would love an i-pod but i need it formore than music.

4) I know it acts as an harddrive so can it hold any type of file like a normal HD would?

5) If I work on Photoshop on school macs and save it to my I-pod so can I, then come home, and plug my i-pod into my windows PC and work o nthe same Photoshop project?...this is vital and my real reason for buying an i-pod.

Thank you.

Arris

1)/ 3) The latest iPods can be accessed by mac and pc.
I have iTunes on my PC at home and have my entire CD collection on it. I have then put all the tunes on my iPod.
We have a G5 at work that we simply copied the music folder contents from my iPod to and set it up in iTunes, so that kinda anwers 2). The only problem is if you synchronise the iPod from a computer other than the original one that you filled it up from it will synchronise it with the new computer and delete any tunes not found on it from the iPod. Just manually manage the iPod and you won't have this problem.

4)I've got some movies and some photos and some backup files stored on my 40Gb iPod.

5)I'm not sure. I'm not lucky enough to have Photoshop at home and I'd think that the mac file system being different might cause problems. Just spoken to a workmate who is mac'd up. He says saving a mac Photoshop project to a windows file system will create two files, data and resource. The resource one is mac specific so not needed and the data one should allow the project to be worked on. I'd do some more research on this on the net first before going ahead and buying an iPod ;)

kuulani

chcr said:
BTW, IC, I don't know jack about I-pods. You need Kuulani.

i just saw this thread today ... sorry 'bout that. i only have a mac, so i don't know if you can use the same iPod for both mac & windows, but arris seems to have the answers :D