I saw lightning for the first time!!

kuulani

holy cow!! i saw an actual lightning rod come down from the sky!! that never happens in hawaii!! ooh! it's pretty!!

i know all of you are thinking, "whoopee, big deal" ... but in hawaii, lightning is just a flash of light, not actual bolts coming down!

very!! i'm sitting here waiting for another bolt!!

and the thunder is very cool too!! very loud & scary!!

it's soooo very cool!!! I just knew the clouds were weird this morning ..

unc - could you hear the thunder in the background of the message I left you?

Aren't those things made out of Titanium? That's practically acting like a lightning rod. :beerbang:

kuulani said:
holy cow!! i saw an actual lightning rod come down from the sky!! that never happens in hawaii!! ooh! it's pretty!!

A lightning rod is a metal pole, usually with a platinum tip used to direct lightning strikes and protect tall buildings. If you saw one come down from the sky, someone's having aa really bad day.

Lightning is too cool. Go to Phoenix during late June-Late August & go to the desert, overlooking the city & you're likely to see quite a show. Stay in your car though. Beautiful & extremely dangerous.

I live in the lightning capital of the US. Lightning shows are cool...but scary. Lightning can travel 5 or 10 miles sideways in a matter of seconds.

when i was 5 or 6, a lightning bolt hit in our backyard while we were sitting on the porch watching the storm. couldn't of been more than 10' away. left a brown circle in the grass. i wouldn't step on that spot for months fearing that i would get electrocuted.
i still love to watch lightning storms.

I once watched a bolt literally split a great big maple tree once. It seemed to last for about 30 seconds...Then there was just two burning halves of a tree...

My mom had an uncle, standing by the kitchen door (circa 1935 Mississippi farmfields) when a bolt hit a tree 250 yards away. He was holding onto a nail in the door frame. It burned his flesh & left a scar for life. The tree exploded.

Back