I saw lightning for the first time!!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about this.

About 10 years ago I worked at a restaurant at a small marina. A bolt of lightning hit one of the boats, traveled through the electrical condiut of the deck, went in one screen door of the restaurant and out another screen door. It was beyond weird. A guy holding on to something metal it traveled through got knocked on his ass. A 225# guy. I saw the bolt go though the screen doors.

Lightning is somewhat common here, I just love to watch it, but it scares the hell out of me too. Never seen a strike up close, but have seen the damage it can do too many times to count.

i love lightning. around here and where i go in NC we get heat lightning. it can be really beautiful. plus if im near a beach, lightning usually has a storm follow it and that means a good rough ocean.

Lightning popped a tree 20 feet from me when I was about 9. The concussion clap knocked me back 5 feet and made me half deaf for 12 hours.

i love watching a good thunderstorm roll through, especially at night, watching them come across a lake is beautiful

i like going somewhere a bit higher, like a mountain, then look at the horizon and see the rain and the thunder bolts whose sound is so loud that make windows shake.

Professur said:
Ever manage to get above the clouds and watch the lightning, Luis? Incredible.

i've seen it once when we were in a storm with an airplane. we were flying above the clouds at a certain point, and you saw all the lighting from above...it's magnificent.

Gonz said:
Stay in your car though

Safest place to be, so I'm told, as you have rubber in contact with the earth. Also, if you're in an open area the best place to be is lying flat on the ground as it strikes the highest point.

I've seen forked lightening many times but it never ceases to amaze me. :D

I watched a program explaining how it works a while back, and in fact forked lightening comes up from the ground, not down from the sky as most people think. When they slowed down the film you could actully see it do so.

Also, if you're in an open area the best place to be is lying flat on the ground as it strikes the highest point.

no, if you're in an open field, stay on your feet, but go through your knees, and lean your head forward. in that case, if you're struck by lighting, the currency goes through the spine, which you'll survive. otherwise it'll hit your head, which is lethal.

:eek6: If it's all the same to you shadow, I don't think I'll be test driving your theory anytime soon. I have no desire to see what it's like to be a potato chip :D

Aunty Em said:
Gonz said:
Stay in your car though

I watched a program explaining how it works a while back, and in fact forked lightening comes up from the ground, not down from the sky as most people think. When they slowed down the film you could actully see it do so.

I do believe all lightning does this.

My friend down the street had a tree in his backyard hit about four years ago. Blew the coax drop for cable tv right out of the ground for a good 10 feet or so. Frayed and burned ends of the coax stood straight up from the ground about 6' high. Killed nearly every electical appliance in the house--garage door openers, microwaves, TVs/VCR/Stereos, heat pump, and I think the fridge got it too. Except for the computers. The network was destroyed though. The Cat5 behind the wall (2 story house) was melted from the attic to the basement and it blew the switch for the house. They think it came in through cable and then spread. Crazy stuff. Cable modem was not hurt, and still works to the day.

Another friend was driving down the highway in a storm and her car was struck by lightning. Melted the antenna down to 6", melted the tires, and fried everything behind the dash.

I've been within about 100' of a strike while out camping. Just as unc said, it'll knock you on your ass pretty quick. I've also been shocked by a strike about 300 feet away (again, while camping) while sleeping on a metal cot. It poped me up just as I saw the light from the strike.

Our house gets struck often, probably because of my anntenas in the attic. I can usually feel a close strike (within a few miles) up to 20 seconds before it happens. Feels like you're claming down on a piece of aluminum....a cold metal feeling in my teeth and a tingling in my spine.

Lightning kicks ass :headbang:

I'd assume be hit in the noggin' or spine with a lightning strike than in my little admiral. I'll accept being a vegetable quadraplegic just so long mr tripod remains in tip top shape.

Mirlyn said:
Another friend was driving down the highway in a storm and her car was struck by lightning. Melted the antenna down to 6", melted the tires, and fried everything behind the dash.

1.21 gigawatts then travel thru time :eek13:

Back