I think I just did something dumb

No Frills definitely has it. So any Loblaws store should too.

I just read something that says that in Canada, Co-Op stores carry it, do you have those there?

Professur said:
I'm not totally done looking here. I was more curious if it was a US only thing. We'll be openning the cottage soon, so Hawkesbury is only a hour away. If you can get it, the Independant there should stock it too.
Thanks tho.

I've never heard of it either ,I know Costco carries no such thing.

think that'd work for tools inconsiderately left outside too? :brow:

Amazon also has it, if the shipping still makes it worth it.

Coop, used to. Not anymore (within my local)

Les, if you've got a car battery charger, yeah, is should do the trick nicely. I'll go pull up the polarities later. Basically, you mix up a batch of soda and water in a rubbermaid tub. At one end, suspend the rusty bit from a wire, and hook up one clamp from the charger. At the other end of the tub, you suspend a sacraficial rod of steel hooked up to the other clamp. You don't want them touching ... or bad things happen. You don't want to do it indoors. Bad things happen. You don't want to hook them up backwards .... or the part goes byebye.

And you don't want the clamps getting wet either. You don't want Paul smoking near it (unless you're tired of having to clean up after him already)

1 tablespoon of washing soda per gallon of water in a plastic container.
negative pole of battery charger connected to the item you want to clean.
Positive pole connected to a sheet of steel plate (will be eaten away after some time) OR a piece of SS (wont be eaten away, just has to be wiped clean occasionally)

Be sure the clamps of the battery charger are NOT in the electrolyte or they will be eaten away rapidly!
Depending on the amount of rust to be removed, let the process run for a few hours or over night. Don't worry about the item to be eaten away... this wont happen. The process is "self regulating". Once the rust is gone, the current will stop running too! The process leaves a black layer of something. I don't know what this is (carbon maybe?) This layer can be washed off under running water. Be sure to dry and cover the metal with something right after the process. Otherwise it'll rust quickly. All rust will be removed, but no metal.

Rusted tight bolts can be loosened using the same process.

source

There we go.

Leslie said:
:lol: I guess I should've preventatively moved the Guinea Pig out of the kitchen.

All is well, and WOW I'm impressed. Borax > Dishwasher soap. I love Borax.

Borax water SUCKS on stainless steel... especially stainless steel that's warm because it's right over a pilot light. Thankfully I had some Armor All car glass wipes handy to un-cloud the top of the stove when I was moving out.

I should admit, though, that I wasn't careful with the borax/water mix.. I just dumped some borax in a cup, put in some warm water and wiped down the walls and the shelves in the cabinets with it.

Professur said:
I'm not totally done looking here. I was more curious if it was a US only thing. We'll be openning the cottage soon, so Hawkesbury is only a hour away. If you can get it, the Independant there should stock it too.
Thanks tho.
find it yet?

Ooh and the dumb thing actually happened last week. The young'un had put dishsoap into one of his juice cups for whatever reason :confuse3:, I hadn't noticed, put it into the dishwasher, and there were suds EVERYWHERE!!! On a happier note, the floor was nice and shiny.

Nope. Haven't looked tho. Too damn busy. Pissing rain every weekend, and I've still yet to get the trailer openned up and ready for use, and we're out of here in two weeks. Ai Karamba!!

Since ours have St-johnny baptist off, most folks with 2 weeks vacation straddle johnny baptist and cananada day to benefit of the extra days off ..... Just like I'm doing.

Back