I think I would challenge the legality of this

2minkey

bootlicker
And this is voluntary legal action on YOUR part, thereby disqualifying you from public defender services. PD does stand for DEFENDER, as in charged with a crime and defending yourself. That does not cover challenging the legality of being served a subpoena.

Next.

i'm getting an idea for a short film.

scene one: resisting the deputy
scene two: laughed out of the PD's office
scene three: a claim too wimpy for even the ACLU to touch
scene four: buggery in cell block B

chcr

Too cute for words
I'll bet you'd all be surprised, given the supposed secular nature of our government, how often "I'm an atheist" gets you dismissed out of hand. ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
We're discussing two issues here (real surprise at OFF TOPIC Central).

The right & responsibility of jury duty vs being handed a John Doe subpoena. Jury Duty shouldn't be taken lightly & should be fulfilled (it helps when employers allow paid time off) with a desire to do ones civic duty.

Being moe (eenie meenie minie) is horseshit. Go & find those called to duty before changing other peoples plans.

jimpeel

And this is voluntary legal action on YOUR part, thereby disqualifying you from public defender services. PD does stand for DEFENDER, as in charged with a crime and defending yourself. That does not cover challenging the legality of being served a subpoena.

Next.

Wrong. If I refused the summons I would ostensibly be charged with a crime and jailed. Then I would be eligible for a PD. You seem to believe that I would be in a CIVIL case.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
wouldn't that be contempt of court, where the judge can just lock you away till you smarten up, and due your duty (all the rights Americans talk about, come at a price...doing jury duty)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
last time i checked you didn't have the legal authority to summon anyone to your automobile. weak analogy. and there's really no moral weight to the task. let's see...

You're correct. I don't. The government also has no authority to summon me with a John Doe warrant. If you want me to perform jury duty, you follow the correct procedure to get me to do so. Snatching me 'off the street' with no forwarning is dubious at best.

minkmeister said:
"jury duty"
"washing the audi duty."

hmmmm yeah not quite the same ring to them.

No. They don't, but they both have the same level of need...

2minkey said:
people get out of jury duty all the time. i bet i could get out of it eventually through jury selection, by just being a total weenie and getting tossed by counsel. in fact i'm pretty sure i would get tossed anyway because of my academic background (at least according to what i'm told by colleagues). but would i try to get out of it?

nope.

Niether would I, but that isn't the point. You don't blindside people like that.

2minkey said:
would i get all righteous in the face of some sheriff deputy and pissy about "the other guy?"

nope.

I would. Its just as easy to go get the weasel as it is to grab random people off the street...which is essentially what they're doing. At least with the weasel that got the mail, you're less likely to get a felon.

2minkey said:
you can rationalize your own motivations however you want. and it's obvious that "the other guy" is a weasel. but at some point, the cycle must end. and somebody needs to say

"well gee, i'd planned on spending the next few days sqaundering my family fortune on prostitutes and high-grade corn chowder, but you know, as a conscientious adult citizen, and one who recognizes court authority, i think i can put off suzy wong and creme fraiche, stand up, and do my duty. thank you deputy, and good luck filling the remaining slots."

That's mighty generous of you. Most folks don't have the luxury of being able to take off of work on that short of notice...Yeah. I know you can't get fired while doing jury duty, but, without some kind of forewarning, all kinds of stupid things can happen.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Personally, I want to see y'all tell the deputy to go fuck himself or that you wish to challenge the legality of it. Funny how our reactions change when the man with handcuffs and a gun is present. And to challenge the legality, you better have deep pockets. Lawyers willing to take that one on won't be cheap.

But hey, by all means, bluster away. Don't mind me, I'll just be sittin over here quietly watching.

So...you like the idea of Press Gangs for jury duty, eh?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Wrong. If I refused the summons I would ostensibly be charged with a crime and jailed. Then I would be eligible for a PD. You seem to believe that I would be in a CIVIL case.

Wrong. If you refused a summons you would be served a civil writ and held in contempt. You could get a PD to address that issue, but to challenge the service itself you're on your own. But what do I know, I've only worked in criminal courts for the past ten years.