I thought Atlanta drivers were bad

i still think you should have to qualify for different weather conditions. too many people out there that have no business driving in the rain, snow or even after sunset.

Yeah, our drivers suck, that's 'cause my brother's on the road (j/k, he's good as long as he's not yelling at red lights). The road rage is worse though, I've heard of at least two road rage murders this year, one was last week.

Anyways, here's a good joke:

Two old ladies are out for a drive and Betty in the passenger seat thinks they just ran a red light. She wasn't too sure, but then they went through another one, and she was pretty sure but to be sure she started watching very closely as they ran through another light that was definitely red. She then turns to Myrtle, "Do you realize you just drove through 3 red lights? You could've killed us!" Myrtle replied, "Holy shit! I'm driving!?" :D

Spot said:
i still think you should have to qualify for different weather conditions. too many people out there that have no business driving in the rain, snow or even after sunset.
At least my mom stopped driving after dark.
I almost included some of my personal ideas for driver testing, which included qualifying for various weather conditions. Also, city and freeway driving as separate qualifications.

Stop Laughing said:
The road rage is worse though, I've heard of at least two road rage murders this year, one was last week.
Good joke, BTW. :D
I will never understand at what point it becomes acceptable to someone to kill somebady else or risk an accident just because that other person is an idiot. I yell at 'em all day long, but kill them? Hell, stupidity isn't even against the law.

chcr said:
I yell at 'em all day long, but kill them? Hell, stupidity isn't even against the law.

Although it should be.

Ted's starting to pick up swear words by riding with me. :D

I lived in Nashville for a few years (which is a few too damn many). Them people are crazy. Ain't none of 'em oughta have a license. Hell, they shouldn't even be allowed to watch other people drive.

There is one place that is worse though. Charlotte NC. Maybe everybody thinks they're Dale Earnhardt or something. I have never in my life seen such a Mongolian clusterfuck.

I learned to drive on backwoods mountain dirt roads. At the ripe old age of 9, I was driving dad's 3-on-the-column, no power steering truck to the local store for stuff when we were working on the farm and something broke or whatnot. I raced go-carts against adults, and won, by 11. I can handle snow and ice as well as any other Southerner (one of our few deficiencies that I am willing to own up to by the way...), and can correct a sliding vehicle better than most. Nothing aggravates me more than to get behind a vehicle from either Florida or New England on these mountain roads. Floridians have never seen a curve and a hill in the same place before, so it just blows their minds to drive around here.

And chcr, from what I hear, the 'Boro is getting as bad as NashVegas these days. I ain't been in five years now, and friends there tell me it is absolutely unbelievable.

I like the city of Chicago, but the roads and drivers there are awful. Illinios in general is a dump; as soon as you leave the state in any direction (NOTE: Iowa is excluded) life gets better - better scenery, nicer people, better drivers, better sports teams, etc.

I love driving in the snow. Luckily I've yet to be stuck in the south during a snow storm, I hear it's absolute hell. Hasn't Charlotte shut down a few times because of *gasp* 1-2 inches of snow? I live in Indiana, hardly a heavy snowfall state, but we had 20" at once this past winter and the town hardly blinked.

I can tell you that California has the reputation it does about traffic for a reason. The drive from LAX to my apartment would normally take four to four-and-a-half hours... but I did it in three coming from from Atlanta because it was midnight when I left the airport so there was almost no traffic. My speed on I-5 in the middle of nowhere played no factor :angel:

I lived in Ohio for a long while (very southern Ohio) and it was fine... Though I would avoid the cities whenever possible cuz people just seem to go nuts in any city (first driving experience was downtown Kansas City in rush hour).... *shudders at the thought of Salt Lake* anyways... try backwater West Virginia sometime.... *shudders again*

rrfield said:
Hasn't Charlotte shut down a few times because of *gasp* 1-2 inches of snow? I live in Indiana, hardly a heavy snowfall state, but we had 20" at once this past winter and the town hardly blinked.

So has Atlanta. Think of it this way - no one down here drives in it more than once every two years, we don't know how. In addition, we have no clearing equipment. I think ATL owns about 2 salt trucks total. Also, it rarely gets much below 30 even in a snow storm, so you're not driving on packed snow. You're driving on slush and (after it refreezes overnight) ice. Different world from Indiana.

We've actually got a fleet of snowplows and salt trucks now. It was in the 2000 budget to keep the Superbowl we were sponsoring nice and cozy. Most of them are still deployed well up into the mountains during times of crisis.. which of course leaves the city wide open. They tend to cast a little salt on all overpasses and call it a day.

There ain't nothing that beats "New Yorker" drivers.....had to go there a few years back with husband, OMG, the cabbies and other drivers, honking their horns and yelling....shewwwwww, never thought i'd make it out alive. :lol2:

NY's easy. I've driven through Manhattan several times, no sweat. It's pretty much a grid of alternating one-ways, and there are no real rules. I can deal with that.

Places like DC, Boston, Atlanta, etc., it's all curves and spirals, some one-ways some both ways, some rules are always followed, some part of the time, some never. That's the kind of shit that'll get an out-of-towner killed.

In ATL, the streets were all built to follow the railroad tracks, which were in turn built to avoid hills and streams - or the roads were built to get to and from the mills on those streams. Nothing is even remotely close to square. The city map looks like a bowl of fucking spaghetti.

Hmmm...I've driven on every inhabited continent except Australia, and the worst drivers I've seen have been in, drumroll please, Korea. Even the Saudi's have nothing on them. It's not just the bumper-to-bumper traffic that always winds up bumper-to-fender traffic, it's the idea that, if you're foreign, the accident is your fault. You could be parked, and somebody could run into you, and it would be your fault because, if you hadn't've been there, the accident wouldn't have happened. Third on my list of bad drivers is Charleston, SC. I've never seen a place so non-chalant about their accidents, either. That line SnP used about Dale Earnhardt applies more to Charleston than Charlotte...especially when it rains. :brush:

My dad has been all over the world a few times in the military and in as a civilian. He tells me that Brazil is the worst followed closely by Italians.

Back