I'm not coming in today afterall

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
was my call to work.

I drove about halfway there thining what the hell am I doing when I passed over the freeway. 2 piss poor lanes & I was heading north where they expected more snow than we've gotten.

That means I just doubled my work for the rest of the week probably. Stupid snow. (2-4" in the last 6 hours, on top of yesterdays 5")

Gonz said:
was my call to work.

I drove about halfway there thining what the hell am I doing when I passed over the freeway. 2 piss poor lanes & I was heading north where they expected more snow than we've gotten.

That means I just doubled my work for the rest of the week probably. Stupid snow. (2-4" in the last 6 hours, on top of yesterdays 5")

300 flights cancelled out of O'Hare this morning.... though my drive in to work wasn't too bad.... expressway and main roads were cleared (ever since snow removal played a major role in a mayoral election, you better believe they get it cleared in a hurry)

however:

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...BENTON-COOK-DU PAGE-IROQUOIS-JASPER-KANKAKEE-LAKE-LAKE IN-NEWTON- PORTER-WILL- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... CHICAGO... FOWLER... GARY... JOLIET... KANKAKEE... MOROCCO... NAPERVILLE... RENSSELAER... VALPARAISO... WATSEKA... WAUKEGAN
... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY.

SNOW WAS TAPERING OFF ACROSS NORTHERN ILLINOIS AND NORTHWEST INDIANA LATE THIS MORNING... THOUGH A 40 MILE WIDE BAND OF HEAVIER SNOW ACROSS NORTH CENTRAL ILLINOIS AND SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN WILL MOVE ACROSS THE AREA THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON. UP TO AN INCH OF ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE AS THIS LAST BAND OF SNOW PUSHES EAST... WITH STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS RANGING FROM 2 TO 5 INCHES ACROSS THE REGION.

NORTHWEST WINDS WILL INCREASE BY AFTERNOON... GUSTING UP TO 30 MPH THROUGH EARLY EVENING. THIS WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF THE NEWLY FALLEN SNOW... CAUSING SOME ADDITIONAL TRAVEL PROBLEMS EVEN AS THE SNOWFALL DIMINISHES.

IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... BE READY FOR DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS....

stay safe, Gonz!

913 am EST Tue Jan 27 2004

... Winter Weather Advisory in effect until 6 PM EST...

Snow will continue into the evening with accumulations of 4 to 6 inches expected with higher amounts near the Michigan and Ohio border. Somer blowing and drifting snow can be expected later this afternoon.

Yep Squiggy, I am. If I'm already out I may as well keep going. If I haven't left the yard yet, why bother. I'll just get in the way of the slow moving plows.

4-6 inches ?!?!! and you're closing down the city for it, or practically? Sheesh!!!

That's what 10-15cm with some blowing snow? That's a nice day for a drive, around here. Sometimes I hear these things and stop wondering why we get so few American visitors up here in the winter, where it's not considered a snow storm unless you get at least 12-18" of snow and 2-4" is considered 'light flurries'...if that much, or even a 'dusting of snow'. :)

That's why I/we don't live in Canada, Wisconsin, Minnesota, the Dakota's or Michigan

MrBishop said:
4-6 inches ?!?!! and you're closing down the city for it, or practically? Sheesh!!!

That's what 10-15cm with some blowing snow? That's a nice day for a drive, around here. Sometimes I hear these things and stop wondering why we get so few American visitors up here in the winter, where it's not considered a snow storm unless you get at least 12-18" of snow and 2-4" is considered 'light flurries'...if that much, or even a 'dusting of snow'. :)

nah... city's not closed down... just a pile of flights out of the airport...

this is nothing, really.... the danger mainly lies in the high winds and the ice that inevitably forms on those roads that aren't salted immediately... and no one I know pays much attention to snowfall reports unless there's 1/2 a foot or more :shrug:

What a pain they are..."can you come in & do a couple of local things"? You're safe, for now.

Freezing rain is a much bigger problem, IMHO. We got a bit of freezing rain on top of our 4 inches of snow. Now it's snowing again. At least in Wisconsin and Minnesota it's usually "just" tons of snow!

rrfield

May snow here Saturday :errrr:

snow2.jpg

:rofl4:

A.B.Normal said:
May snow here Saturday :errrr:

snow2.jpg

MN isn't so bad last few winters have been very mild actually they have been more like fall in the area of snow fall! Its been lousy for all the ppl who own snowmobiles or like good snow for skiing!

:rofl4:

I don't like quick reply it adds mystuff inside the quote from the other person! :eyebrow:

drkavnger99 said:
MN isn't so bad last few winters have been very mild actually they have been more like fall in the area of snow fall! Its been lousy for all the ppl who own snowmobiles or like good snow for skiing!

Sadly true. The last two vacations I took up in Northern Minnesota there was only a fraction of the snow they normally get. Everyone there was deeply concerned about the risk of fire come summer, since the water levels were lowest they'd ever seen.

Well, we're expecting snow tonight here in the UK, so if it materialises you can guarentee that nothing will be running in the morning!

Color me jealous - no chance of me missing out on work tomorrow, at least not unless I start that fire I've been dreaming about.... :evilgrin:

Back