important question about IP addresses... crucial to an argument we need to win!

BlurOfSerenity

do cable internet IP addresses change?

me and Kittie insist YES.
Magic_ Guy says NO.

"and Magic_ Guy says that they are wrong, because they are." <--- line courtesy of him being stupid :p

Depends. Some are static, most aren't. However, if you don't unplug your modem, it shouldn't change.

What Gonz said, it's up to the ISP, a while ago most of them used to give you a static IP, but these days the rule seems to be that ISPs use NAT routers and you keep an static local (non routable) IP and they assign you a dynamic IP when you turn on the modem.

Every offer I've seen says your IP will change. Rather, its subject to change.

I have three IPs and none have changed since I got cable in 99'. They tell me the IPs could change though. Haven't yet, so I'd say unofficially--it doesn't change.

People using cable internet are liable to the IP address changing. It is as simple as that. The downfall of this is- if someone blocks your IP address, and someone else gets assigned that IP address... well that would suck for person number 2 if they went to the same site/whatever.

In short, it is stupid, and not efficiant, but Yes, Cable IPs are subject to change.

You're welcome.

set nat dynamic to passthrough=on

Call your ISP and ask them about this line of code in their systems. It's the line that gives you a new IP addy every time you login. Mostly reserved for company servers but often used on small ISPs.

I believe that my ISP assigns me the same IP addy everytime.

charter changes.
Mine has been the same for a long time now, but thier's
depends on the mac address.
So if I change from the router to directly connecting
to the comp, it changes.
Also if I change the nic, or switch and hook up another comp,
it will change.
But if I go back to the router, or the oringinal nic it changes back
to the ip I had before on that particular device.

If I set the router mac address to the same one that is on a certain
computer, switching from the router to directly connecting to the comp.,
the ip won't change then.

Back