Installing Mandrake 9 on my K6-2 450

no kidding :p

I'd look for something smaller, IMO.....like 7 or something. Mandrake is big enough as is, I think you'll be pushing your system a bit too hard. Could be wrong though...let us know how it goes!:headbang:

wow, very weird, if it ever hangs is while testing the video card :confuse3:

did you try installing it again?

remember, choose expert installation, even if you are no expert ;)

you could use slackware and not have to deal with configuration problems (because you have to do configuration maunally...:D)

no, if you have pretty standard hardware slack runs pretty ok right out of the box. but you really learn how to do things the right way because everything isn't wizardized like windows or mandrake.

you might want to take a look at this, it's a pretty good linux primer.
http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz

edit: btw, if you actually look at slackware, get 8.1 instead of 9.0, 9 just came out and I'm not sure if I like it yet but 8.1 is solid.

I can't install it again. :crying3:

I can't boot up from the CD-ROM drive anymore. For some reason my ATA133 RAID card is blocking boot access to the CD-ROM drive.

is the cdrom plugged into the raid card or an onboard controller? try switching it, or just generating a set of floppy images, that's a drag but it works.

Onboard controller. The RAID card says not to plug in ATAPI devices into it. plus, I tried it anyway, and it didn't boot off the CD, even when it was made master of the hard drive.

I don't have a floppy drive in it, either, so I can't do floppies.

if you've just got a single drive you might be able to install from the onboard controller and change references to where the drive will be on the raid card but that's a lot of monkeying around with /etc/fstab and your bootloader. i really know jack-shit about raid cards so all i can do is make wild guesses

That's what I was trying to do, I was gonna see if I could get into the console and manually finish the install. But it's no longer booting from the hard drive when it's in the onboard controller.

Hmm, I don't think its a resources problem, I'm running 9 on a PII-333 with 64 megs of RAM. I had a similar problem with 8.2, I think. Turned out to be the video settings and the stone age PCI video card. Have you tried removing the raid controller completely and seeing if it will boot from the CD then? Hope this helps...

yeah, get rid of the raid card at least while you are installing, then hopefully the hardware detect tool will detect it and install it properly.

in my recollection, mandrake was a bit sluggish on my XP1600, stick fluxbox (my fav), windowmaker or another lightweight window manager on on it and you'll probably be in business

Back