Interesting article from 2000

spike

Bush's Faustian Deal with the Taliban

Enslave your girls and women, harbor anti-US terrorists, destroy every vestige of civilization in your homeland, and the Bush Administration will embrace you. All that matters is that you line up as an ally in the drug war, the only international cause that this nation still takes seriously.

That's the message sent with the recent gift of $43 million to the Taliban rulers of Afghanistan, the most virulent anti-American violators of human rights in the world today. The gift, announced last Thursday by Secretary of State Colin Powell, in addition to other recent aid, makes the United States the main sponsor of the Taliban and rewards that "rogue regime" for declaring that opium growing is against the will of God. So, too, by the Taliban's estimation, are most human activities, but it's the ban on drugs that catches this administration's attention.

Never mind that Osama bin Laden still operates the leading anti-American terror operation from his base in Afghanistan, from which, among other crimes, he launched two bloody attacks on American embassies in Africa in 1998.

Sadly, the Bush Administration is cozying up to the Taliban regime at a time when the United Nations, at US insistence, imposes sanctions on Afghanistan because the Kabul government will not turn over Bin Laden

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20010604/20010522

:rolleyes:

Do you never shrink from spreading discredited lies?

The package includes $28 million worth of wheat from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, $5 million in food commodities and $10 million in "livelihood and food security" programs, both from the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Powell said the U.S. aid is administered by the United Nations and non-governmental organizations, and bypasses the Taliban, "who have done little to alleviate the suffering of the Afghan people, and indeed have done much to exacerbate it." http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/05/17/us.afghanistan.aid/index.html

You picked a real winner in that Robert Scheer story, Spike. :laugh:

WASHINGTON, May 17 (News Agencies) - The United States will contribute $43 million in new food and other humanitarian aid to the people of Afghanistan who are facing the worst drought in the country's history, Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Thursday.

"Afghanistan is in crisis," Powell said, appealing for other countries to boost their assistance to Afghanistan.

"If the international community does not take immediate action, countless deaths and terrible tragedy are certain to follow," he told reporters.

Powell noted that nearly four million people were at risk of starvation from the now three-year-old drought that has been exacerbated by Afghanistan's long-running civil war.

"The country is on the verge of a widespread famine," he said.

The new U.S. assistance, which includes 65,000 tons of wheat, five million dollars in other foodstuffs, such as vegetable oil and $10 million for refugees and internally displaced persons, brings to $124 million the amount of aid Washington is providing this year to Afghans.

The United States is the largest single donor of humanitarian aid to Afghanistan despite not recognizing the legitimacy of the country's ruling Taliban militia.

And Powell reasserted U.S. concerns about the Muslim group. "Our aid bypasses the Taliban who have done little to alleviate the suffering of the Afghan people, and indeed, have done much to exacerbate it," he said.

Washington was a co-sponsor of U.N. sanctions against the Taliban whom the United States accuses of sheltering, Saudi millionaire Osama bin Laden, alleged to have masterminded the 1998 bombings of the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

The sanctions are to remain in place until bin Laden has been turned over to face prosecution for the attacks, and Powell said Washington would be looking to the Taliban to cooperate as well as improve their human rights record, which has been widely decried for its treatment of women and young girls.

"We hope the Taliban will act on a number of fundamental issues that separate us: their support for terrorism, their violation of internationally recognized human rights standards, especially their treatment of women and girls, and their refusal to resolve Afghanistan's civil war through a negotiated settlement," he said.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/2001-05/18/article3.shtml

no matter as to the specifics. we've supported all order of dickheads over the years.

no stretch to suspect that the same thing has happened again. be more surprising if it didn't happen.

Hey all, I've been a lurker for a while and finally decided to join. I will apologize right now for being a hit-and-run poster, but I tend to be very sporatic when it comes to getting on the computer.

I was flabbergasted at this article. It reminds me of the book 1984 when all the people had a demonstration against another nationstate they were at war with, and in the middle of the demonstration, Big Brother anounced that they were now friends of that country and at war with another one. They all looked dumb founded at the signs that they were carrying and concluded that sabatours had made them.

I am begining to think that the media treats us this same way and thinks we are too stupid to realize it. If it is not some early '70s documentation (written on MS Word) showing that Bush did not serve honorably, it's this crap!! There is plenty of room to criticize Bush, but YGBSM!! I'm pretty sure that if you check, you will find that Bush was not the President in May of '00!! If there is any truth to the story, it would have been Clinton that did these things. I don't think the Taliban was around long enough after Bush came into office to be helped.:wink2:

is the article misdated? bush took office 1/2001, right? but the author writes about the administration as if it were in power at the time.

Must be misdated. Cerise's article is dated May 17, 2001 and the aid hadn't been given yet. Powell was Secretary of State.

Hey all, I've been a lurker for a while and finally decided to join. I will apologize right now for being a hit-and-run poster, but I tend to be very sporatic when it comes to getting on the computer.

I was flabbergasted at this article. It reminds me of the book 1984 when all the people had a demonstration against another nationstate they were at war with, and in the middle of the demonstration, Big Brother anounced that they were now friends of that country and at war with another one. They all looked dumb founded at the signs that they were carrying and concluded that sabatours had made them.

I am begining to think that the media treats us this same way and thinks we are too stupid to realize it. If it is not some early '70s documentation (written on MS Word) showing that Bush did not serve honorably, it's this crap!! There is plenty of room to criticize Bush, but YGBSM!! I'm pretty sure that if you check, you will find that Bush was not the President in May of '00!! If there is any truth to the story, it would have been Clinton that did these things. I don't think the Taliban was around long enough after Bush came into office to be helped.:wink2:
I get the feeling that it's the politicians who set who we're at war with and who our allies are, and not the newspapermen. Much like Afghanistan became our ally when the USSR invaded and the Afghani "Freedom fighters' needed help to push back their 'red antagonists'

Much like Iraq was the ally when they fought against Iran., and later when Iran was the ally when Iraq fell out of favor.

Pieces on a Othello board... Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Palestine, Israel etc...just pieces that happen to change sides as the political hot wind blows.

I get the feeling that it's the politicians who set who we're at war with and who our allies are, and not the newspapermen. Much like Afghanistan became our ally when the USSR invaded and the Afghani "Freedom fighters' needed help to push back their 'red antagonists'

Much like Iraq was the ally when they fought against Iran., and later when Iran was the ally when Iraq fell out of favor.

Pieces on a Othello board... Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Palestine, Israel etc...just pieces that happen to change sides as the political hot wind blows.

I was trying to point out the people's reaction to big brother's revision of reality more so than who is doing the revision.

To your other point, I can see where at times you might invite a co-worker over for beers and then change your mind about him when he starts hitting on your wife. But, there are also plenty of examples Pakistan where we already knew they were jerks Pakistan but pretended to be friends Pakistan because we needed something from them Pakistan .

Back