Internal CD RW drive

greenfreak

The only CDRW drive I have that's recognized by EZ CD Creator died last night... I went looking on CNET for reviews and found the TDK VeloCD:

http://reviews.cnet.com/TDK_VeloCD_52X_24X_48X/4505-3207_7-20776293.html?tag=topprods

I've bought a different model TDK for two people at work and they seem to like it and Rusty has almost the same model, he likes it too and hasn't had any problems with it. I like the speeds but it only has a 2mb buffer? How much is that going to matter to me, really?

Any suggestions on a dependable, fast (write at 24x) internal IDE CDRW? I have another one that's not compatible with 2000/XP that I'm using as a CD ROM so I'm not so worried about read speeds or rewrite speeds.

Also, where do you get your hardware reviews from? I've always gone to CNET, where are some other good sites to get info?

i would look in the sunday paper and get the cheapest 52X one around. I think best buy had one advertised for 12 AR.

I'd get one thats bundled with NERO around here I can get
Lite-On 52X24X52 Black CDRW OEM /w Nero $59.00Cdn ,damn inexpensive and good drive :D

I used to do that whoreable, just buy the cheapest; when I used to shop at Tiger. But I had a problem with them every time I ordered something and as a result, I don't give them my business anymore. Cheaper isn't necessarily better to me now, you know? I'd rather pay up front and have a good product for a few years. :)

A.B., that's the one I saw on CNET that got great reviews but I've never heard of "Lite On". I found it at NewEgg for $40. with free shipping. Ever get any Lite On products?

I use.. Umm.. *checks* Samsung CD-R/RW SW-248B. It burns up to 52x, and buffer underrun is not a problem if you use Nero. Great drive.

greenfreak said:
I used to do that whoreable, just buy the cheapest; when I used to shop at Tiger. But I had a problem with them every time I ordered something and as a result, I don't give them my business anymore. Cheaper isn't necessarily better to me now, you know? I'd rather pay up front and have a good product for a few years. :)

A.B., that's the one I saw on CNET that got great reviews but I've never heard of "Lite On". I found it at NewEgg for $40. with free shipping. Ever get any Lite On products?
They're pretty good. I've got a few here on the floor from Newegg and my new machine will probably have the black-bezel Lite-On from there too. :headbang:

I have an HP burner now at home. Nice drive, but its only a 10x. Got it back in 2000. Only problem with it was a conflict with the VIA chipset at the time. No more VIA chipsets for me anyway....I dislike them now.

By the way, the "cheapies" you get at Best Buy or Office Max or similar are usually just rebadges. Some are Samsung, some are Lite-On, Sony, I've even seen Plextor. It doesn't say on the outside of the box, and not every one on the shelf is the same. You just get lucky sometimes.

i only buy 2 brands, 1st choice is always plextor. i just got the 52x with the ability to put 800 compressed mb on the disk. love it. never had to send one back yet. my oldest is 5 yrs old now.
2nd is lite on. very dependable and reasonable priced. oldest is 2 years on it. have tried others and been very disappointed so i refuse to stray from those.

My Iomega (manuf. by NEC I think) from late '99 is still going strong. Sure, it's a bit slow (4x4x24) but I don't do that much burning to justify the upgrade anyway. But it uses EZ CD Creator, so I would think Iomega's current drives would be recognized by it.

The Samsung drives are great. I've probably bought about two, maybe three, dozen from my supplier. Not one has given any problems. The guys I buy from say that they have yet to have one returned for RMA.

I do have a Sony drive in my main rig. It's proven to be quite a reliable drive actually. I've never made a toaster yet in the year or so I've had it. Still, with the number of Samsung drives I've put in systems, I'd be more inclined to go with one of those the next time I need a drive over a Sony.

So three votes for Lite On, two for Samsung then Sony, Optorite, Plextor... So many to choose from! Better more choices then less, huh? I should probably get it soon, I've got some music to burn and bring to work. My old collection is getting... old. :)

Do any of the others come with Software? Would be a pain to have to use an "old" version of EZCD that may or may not recognize a new Drive.If it comes with NERO make sure its not simply NERO EXPRESS ,but a real version of NERO.

Woo hoo!! Just put in my order:

Lite On 52x32x52 Beige Color CDRW Drive LTR-52327S - OEM
SMART-BURN avoiding Buffer Under Run error, Automatically adjusting writing strategy & running OPC to provide the best burning quality
Specifications:
Speed: Writing 52X, Rewriting 32X, Reading: 52X (52x32x52)
Interface: ATAPI/E-IDE
Supported Media: CD, CD-R & CD-RW discs (upto 99 min)
Buffer: 2mb
Access Time: 80ms (typical)
OS Support: 95 / 98 / NT / ME / XP / 2000 Model#: LTR-52327S BEIGE -OEM Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

A.B. thanks, it does have Nero Express like you said. But I have the full version already along with a bunch of other software so I should be good. $42.99 total. I love buying stuff. :D

:banana:

I love spending other peoples money ,even if its only $42 :winkkiss:

my first CDRW was a Creative 6X4X24 that I paid over $200 for :crying4:

:D Well the only other money I'll be spending in the near future is on cool looking containers for my spring bulbs; tulips, crocus, hyacinth... Wanna help me pick some out?? ;)

My brother in law bought a Creative CD burner without looking at the box and it wasn't compatible with Windows ME, which is what he had. It only wrote at 4x. So as a favor, I bought them a CDRW that would work with their system and they gave me the burner and we called it even. I don't even remember what it cost, but it certainly wasn't $40.!!

i used to care about what brand i bought but now i'm with whoreable. not that i advocate buying shitty hardware in general, but virtually any drive you buy now is going to work just fine, especially if you don't do a _lot_ of burning. and considering what the things cost now, if the thing craps out in a year, who cares, just buy another cheap one.

Back