internet connection monitoring

Mirlyn

I need to monitor an internet connection to measure downtime. I've been using CableTraffic so far and like it, but would like to see what other options I have.

I have two routers that are possibly going bad, and need to see how long they'll stay connected to the internet (or which one is bad, if both aren't).

i've never used cable traffic but it wouldn't be too hard to whip up a little script to monitor connectivity for you.

I use SNMPc by castlerock (www.castlerock.com) at work. It's probably a lot more then you need, but you can download a trial. SolarWinds has a similar package, again more then you need if you are just measuring some bandwidth or up/downs.

rrfield

rrfield said:
I use SNMPc by castlerock (www.castlerock.com) at work. It's probably a lot more then you need, but you can download a trial. SolarWinds has a similar package, again more then you need if you are just measuring some bandwidth or up/downs.

rrfield

I'll check it out...thanks. Looking for live-connection detection more than bandwidth metering. CableTraffic uses timed pings and displays a timeline showing unreachable times.

I have a VPN router here that supposedly is losing internet connection after 18-20 hours (then has to be powercycled). Hard to test when I'm hardly home for longer than 9 hours at a time. ;)

Mirlyn said:
I'll check it out...thanks. Looking for live-connection detection more than bandwidth metering. CableTraffic uses timed pings and displays a timeline showing unreachable times.

I have a VPN router here that supposedly is losing internet connection after 18-20 hours (then has to be powercycled). Hard to test when I'm hardly home for longer than 9 hours at a time. ;)

SNMPc should work if the devices support SNMP (any version). Are the routers Cisco? The program has some built-in MIB's that work well with Cisco routers. I monitor about 150 devices with it and take short and long-term statistics on about 20 of them. I think the trial is for 30 days, then it's like $3500 or something after that. If you want I can simply e-mail you the setup file, nothing illegal there since I wouldnt be sending the license info...

rrfield

rrfield said:
SNMPc should work if the devices support SNMP (any version). Are the routers Cisco? The program has some built-in MIB's that work well with Cisco routers. I monitor about 150 devices with it and take short and long-term statistics on about 20 of them. I think the trial is for 30 days, then it's like $3500 or something after that. If you want I can simply e-mail you the setup file, nothing illegal there since I wouldnt be sending the license info...

rrfield

Technically they're Cisco....Linksys, actually. ;) First I've had go bad (if it is indeed the router).

Downloading the trial now...

Mirlyn said:
Technically they're Cisco....Linksys, actually. ;) First I've had go bad (if it is indeed the router).

Downloading the trial now...

i love that. "technically" so a little off topic here, do you think the linksys brand will ever have cisco technology in them?

whether or not they ever contain cisco technology, i doubt cisco will ever make linksys gear comparable with their own cisco stuff. who's going to buy expensive cisco stuff if the linksys version is just as good?

no not necessarily the same as, just some technology upgrades for the home user. like manages switches and such.

samcurry said:
i love that. "technically" so a little off topic here, do you think the linksys brand will ever have cisco technology in them?
They've already integrated to a point. I saw Cisco logos on the Linksys boxes and on the actual hardware less than a month after they bought the company. My friend talked to Cisco reps the other day on the phone who were advanced tech support for Linksys.

Linksys is already in the upper middle range with gigabit and fiber managed switching and all, but I don't think they'll ever be a frequent sight in server rooms. Their niche seems to be consumer to advanced user, and the high-end server environments are dominated by the big names (Nortel, 3com, Cisco, Lucent, Cabletron, etc). You simply can't run with the big dogs who have been known for years. ;)

tommyj27 said:
whether or not they ever contain cisco technology, i doubt cisco will ever make linksys gear comparable with their own cisco stuff. who's going to buy expensive cisco stuff if the linksys version is just as good?

Bingo. Cisco will make sure the Linksys brand stays in the SOHO market.

Actually, I do use some Linksys stuff at work. I have deployed a few workgroup switches in places where there is no need to monitor the switch, have redundancy, or use VLANs. They are cheap and reliable.

rrfield

rrfield said:
Mirlyn, did SNMPc help at all?
Didn't put a whole lot of time into it because I was supposed to be studying for an exam this morning. ;)

Seemed a little more advanced than what I needed, but I'll check it out in more detail tonight.

Back