internet speed records fall

unclehobart

Scientists: Internet speed record smashed
By Jeordan Legon

(CNN) -- Offering a glimpse of a faster digital future, researchers announced they have set a new Internet speed record.

Scientists at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center used fiber-optic cables to transfer 6.7 gigabytes of data -- the equivalent of two DVD movies -- across 6,800 miles in less than a minute.

Pushing the tech envelope
The team was able to transfer uncompressed data at 923 megabits per second for 58 seconds from Sunnyvale, California, to Amsterdam, Netherlands. That's about 3,500 times faster than a typical Internet broadband connection.

"By exploring the edges of Internet technologies' performance envelope, we are improving our ... ability to implement new networking technologies," said Les Cottrell, assistant director of the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, a national laboratory operated by Stanford University for the U.S. Department of Energy.

The experiment could "bring high-speed data transfer to practical everyday applications, such as doctors at multiple sites sharing and discussing a patient's [heart test results] to diagnose and plan treatment," he added.

On average, the amount of information that can be transferred over the Internet has doubled every year since 1984, scientists said. That trend is expected to continue.
(much more)..

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/03/07/speed.record/index.html

Now if they could only serve a few hundred million people concurrently at this speed we'd be getting some place.

I can just see it

What kind of connection you got?

Fiber, 900mbs. Damn movie took me a whole 45 seconds to download the other day though, pissed me right off.

Just reading the article, I don't think my computer can write to the hard drive that damn fast.

Could you imagine gettting a virus that quietly uploads your entire hard drive to an unspecified location in a mere 10 seconds? *gulp*

We won't have hard drives by the time 900 megabit connections become mainstream. It'll all either be holographic data storage or solid state drives (permanent RAM disks) - made out of magnetoresistive(sp?) memory.

star-trek style, i can't wait
isolinear.jpg

HeXp£Øi± said:
Now if they could only serve a few hundred million people concurrently at this speed we'd be getting some place.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I first heard of this! :D

Back