Iran Begins Uranium Enrichment

It would be the absolute height of stupidity to let them build a bomb, and that really worries me. :shrug:

Completely different from Iraq, IMO. Saddam was spending the GNP on self-aggrandizement while trying to get everyone to believe he was dangerous. Iran is seriously working on building nukes. I really don't believe there first interest is electricity.

The only comparison I meant with Iraq was just the delay tactics, and the way the UN did. ;)

Honestly, I think they do want the electricity. But they're not blind to the opportunities either. How much does the US spend every year storing spent rods? How much would it take to justify Iran diverting that cost into weapons development? Even at the minimun of providing that spent fuel to radicals to wrap around pipe bombs and head for Isreal?

Professur said:
Honestly, I think they do want the electricity. But they're not blind to the opportunities either. How much does the US spend every year storing spent rods? How much would it take to justify Iran diverting that cost into weapons development? Even at the minimun of providing that spent fuel to radicals to wrap around pipe bombs and head for Isreal?
I agree that they want the electricity, Prof. I just don't believe it's their first priority. It should be, but it's yet another country run by religious extremists.

The electricity is an added benefit of their weapons program.

Stop them now or Europe, not only Israel, will suffer.

Iran and North Korea and 1a and 1b as far as immediate threats to the USandA IMO. I would support war against these two.

I have a feeling Afghanistan and Iraq were suposed to be "tune-up" wars, like how top 25 college basketball teams will try to beat up on mid-and-low-major teams before the conference schedule starts. Once and a while, the underdog team will hang around with the top 25 team, exposing weaknesses. The top 25 team comes out on top, eventaully, most of the time. There are upsets, though (Indiana vs. Indiana St., Wisconsin vs. North Dakota St., USA vs. Great Britain).

Now, good teams with good coaches learn from their near-losses to the underdog and fix what went wrong. I fear we don't have a good coach.

People have been saying we're gonna get slammed in teh dsesert for 20 years & it hasn't happened yet. Shit, Iran couldnt beat Iraq in 8 years, what makes you think they'll do squat to the US? The native population also wants the Ayatollah gone.

We have a new coaching staff that doesn't seem to be able to make adjustments as fast as needed. "Stay the course". "Keep running that play till we get it right". Sometimes the players are so good the team wins inspite of the coach. 1985 Bears.

I'm convinced we would beat Iran, but it will take longer then Iraq and cost more lives. Will the American public put up with it?

The critical mass for an unreflected sphere of plutonium is 16 kg,
but through the use of a neutron reflecting tamper the pit of plutonium
in a fission bomb is reduced to 10 kg, which is a sphere with a diameter of 10 cm.

Horse pucky
we'd roll right over 'em just like we did the Iraqi's

it is impossible to oppose an enemy (our forces)
that you can’t inflict any real damage on
who rules the sky destroys you with absolute impunity
and has unlimited resources

the same problem would exist though

what the hell to do afterwards

mebbe yer tune-up analogy would apply to that

what to do after the boots are on the ground...

Winky said:
The critical mass for an unreflected sphere of plutonium is 16 kg,
but through the use of a neutron reflecting tamper the pit of plutonium
in a fission bomb is reduced to 10 kg, which is a sphere with a diameter of 10 cm.
Isn anyone else worried that the Winkmeister knows this much about atomic bombs? :lol2:

A nuke is no big deal, the materials can be tracked by satellite and even if it was some how used as a weapon that would be the last thing Iran ever did. It is more of a status symbol than anything else. I'd worry more about an accident or Iran lending experienced scientists to other countries.

ekahs retsam said:
A nuke is no big deal, the materials can be tracked by satellite and even if it was some how used as a weapon that would be the last thing Iran ever did. It is more of a status symbol than anything else. I'd worry more about an accident or Iran lending experienced scientists to other countries.

:rofl4: Good one! :rofl4:

1. Unshielded nuclear material can be tracked by satellite.
2. Raw, unprocessed nuclear material cannot be tracked.

Apparently Bush has changed his tune...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -
President George W. Bush said on Saturday he hoped to promote greater use of nuclear power both at home and abroad, and said he saw promise in new technology aimed at reducing nuclear waste.

Look how small Iran is though. We have far more nukes than necessary to destroy their country, and they don't have nearly enough to destroy ours. If tensions are high enough that people are discissing it on forums, there are probably several boomer subs floating around Iran and North Korea with enough firepower to turn their entire country into a sheet of glass, ready to launch the second the White House says "Go.".

There you have it folks. BushCo War Marketing has convinced masses of Altron's out there that Iran has nuclear weapons

Probably thinks Iraq was behind 9/11.

MB00204.jpg

Back