Iraq, Israel, US & the IN

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
it's beginning to look a lot like war time

ERUSALEM, Sept. 21 — Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has informed the Bush administration that he plans to strike back if Iraq attacks Israel, according to Israeli and Western officials.

Mr. Sharon's statements, made privately to senior American officials in recent weeks, represent a major shift in Israeli thinking since the 1991 Persian Gulf war, when 39 Iraqi Scud missiles struck without any Israeli response.
Source

JERUSALEM (AP) - A hospital has begun inoculating emergency workers against smallpox in preparation for a possible attack by Iraq, officials said Wednesday, amid reports that sales of air filters, tranquilizers and bottled water are up across Israel.

Israel's deputy defense minister, Weizman Shiri, said Israel is well prepared for an Iraqi attack with chemical or biological weapons.

"I say with my hand on my heart, not just to calm everyone, that the state of Israel is ready," Shiri said. "It would be easier for them to carry out a biological attack on even the United States than Israel."

The government decided last month to inoculate 15,000 emergency workers against smallpox. On Tuesday, Ichilov Hospital in Tel Aviv began the inoculations, at a rate of 30 people per day, hospital officials said. Other hospitals will also begin inoculations.

Source

Military officials confirmed the reports Sunday that about a fourth of the Israeli population does not yet have updated gas masks but said that it was only a matter of time, possibly as little as a few days, before masks could be distributed to all citizens. Masks would also be given to foreign workers and tourists, the officials said on condition of anonymity.

Source

Hell with it. Not like they're going to hate the Israelis any more then they already do. Sharon and the Israelis are sending the massage to the world that they aren't going to take it anymore. Iraq uses Biological or chemical weapons on Israel and they'll be no more iraq. I already get the feeling this things going to get out of hand though. Iraq starts sending unmanned planes into Israel, Lebonese hesbollah start lobbing thousands of rockets into israel while the iranians rush to supply them, iraq sends military through jordan to israel, Israel drops the bomb on iraq. Syria and the palestinians attack, al-quida and other terrorist attack pick up. Gee that's exactly what Usama wanted. Only problem is, if this happens Israel is going to quadruple in size.
Honestly, i think we should seek Israels help for this. We might need it.

Smallpox spread rate is 10 people for every infected person within two weeks. That would be almost impossible to obtain.

JERUSALEM, Sept. 21 ? Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has informed the Bush administration that he plans to strike back if Iraq attacks Israel, according to Israeli and Western officials.

Sounds smart.

Why doesn't anyone in the media, besides Rush Limbaugh, adress the fact that Congress gave Bush an open mandate? Here's todays trivia"

WASHINGTON (AP) - Lawmakers are close to giving President Bush the congressional authorization he wants to take on Saddam Hussein, saying they will limit the mandate to Iraq to satisfy Democrats' unease about Bush's request to restore security to the whole region.

and here's the already signed, sealed & delivered warpowers act, passed on September 14, 2001. It seems to authorize action as deemed necessary.

Authorization for Use of Military Force (Enrolled Bill)

--S.J.Res.23--

S.J.Res.23

One Hundred Seventh Congress

of the

United States of America

AT THE FIRST SESSION
Begun and held at the City of Washington on Wednesday,

the third day of January, two thousand and one

Joint Resolution

To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the recent attacks launched against the United States.

Whereas, on September 11, 2001, acts of treacherous violence were committed against the United States and its citizens; and

Whereas, such acts render it both necessary and appropriate that the United States exercise its rights to self-defense and to protect United States citizens both at home and abroad; and

Whereas, in light of the threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States posed by these grave acts of violence; and

Whereas, such acts continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States; and

Whereas, the President has authority under the Constitution to take action to deter and prevent acts of international terrorism against the United States: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This joint resolution may be cited as the `Authorization for Use of Military Force'.

SEC. 2. AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES.

{b](a) IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.[/b]

(b) War Powers Resolution Requirements-

(1) SPECIFIC STATUTORY AUTHORIZATION- Consistent with section 8(a)(1) of the War Powers Resolution, the Congress declares that this section is intended to constitute specific statutory authorization within the meaning of section 5(b) of the War Powers Resolution.

(2) APPLICABILITY OF OTHER REQUIREMENTS- Nothing in this resolution supercedes any requirement of the War Powers Resolution.
Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Vice President of the United States and

President of the Senate.

S.J.RES.23
Sponsor: Sen Daschle, Thomas A.(introduced 9/14/2001)
Related Bills: H.J.RES.64
Latest Major Action: 9/18/2001 Became Public Law No: 107-40.
Title: A joint resolution to authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the recent attacks launched against the United States.

Bush already has the power but for something this important he needs the full backing of congress. Especially since he's going against the wishes of the majority of the world. But when the time comes IMO he will have the overwhelming support of congress. Congress just want's the debate.

To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the recent attacks launched against the United States.

Maybe because Iraq isn't held directly responsible for the attack on 9/11...?
So that act cannot be used when it comes to action against Iraq, at least not until there is proof Iraq CAN (partially) responsible for those attacks.

Direct responsibility isn't on that list
SEC. 2. AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES.

(a) IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.

That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.

True Shadow, but if you read on, this pretty well covers the rest of the world, if we want it to.

I think many people are missing a few important points. Just because bush has the power to attack Iraq under certian resolutions doesn't mean he should. And even if Iraq is found to have nothing to do with 9/11 doesn't mean we shouldn't engage in a pre-emptive strike. Keeping America safe might very well mean making pre-emptive strikes from here on out.

I don't think anybody is saying that...at least not me. I support pre-emptive strikes on Iraq, even though they might have nothing to do with the 9/11 attacks.
Iraq is a potential hazard, and not only to the US. And Iraq has become such an hazard that it can no longer be ignored, and that action should be taken to eliminate that thread.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Shadowfax, but Iraq is far more dangerous to Europe than to the US. Scuds don't have the range to hit the US yet. They can, however, reach as far as Inkara, Turkey. In about 3 years, at most, he will have the range to hit London if he isn't stopped. I believe the Netherlands are closer to him than the UK. ;) You want that on your doorstep, just say so...oops...most of Europe already said that. My bad. ;)

I am aware of the danger of Iraq. That's why I think action should be taken before things get out of hand. I support the idea's of the US to strike before things get out of hand...I support the idea's to get rid of Husseins dictorial regime.

And I AM aware that Iraq is a greater danger to Europe than to the US when it comes to distance...that's why I support action taken against Iraq. Unlike a lot of other Europeans, who don't even SEE the danger :mad:

I can understand, somewhat, why Europe doesn't like the idea of getting into a war. Your countries are so close together that damage to one almost guarantees damage to the neighbors. In this case, however, hiding in the attic until the rats leave the house is not an option. Sometimes you just have to call the exterminator. ;)

Go help me tell that to the other Europeans who are to short-sighted to see that :D

You don't have to convinve ME, just a few million other europeans :rolleyes:

i got no problem with getting rid of a nucleur arsenal hoarding fruit-bag in the middle east as long as the long-term view for the military action and government structure in iraq is well thought through and doesn't further ignite an already volatile region.

and i hope to see the new-found fervance for ensuring compliance with un resolutions and nucleur proliferation is continued with other countries in the world. there are plenty of countries out there - friend and foe.

Europeans & Americans are an intersting lot. This exact argument could have/did happen before Germany invaded Poland.

Back