iraq survey group chief resigns

ris

bbc - head of isg resigns
bbc - new head of isg takes up post

david kay, former chief of the isg, has stepped down and stated in an interview to reuters that he believed there had been no large-scale production of chemical or biological weapons in rraq since the end of the first gulf war.

his successor, charles duelfer, has stated earlier this month that he thought the chances of finding chemical or bilogical weapons was now close to nil.

i don't know about in the us, but i wouldn't be surprised if this causes a great deal of damage to the government in this country. the concentration on the regime having and being able to use wepaons (not small programmes but serious stockpiles of weapons) was central to the case for going to war. blair has repeatedly stated that the weapons will be found and he is increasingly looking isolated.

either my government knew the real situation and chose not to disclose it or the military intelligence was woefully flawed. neither situation is particularly appealing.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Where did the intelligence failure happen? Why didn't saddam comply with the UN? Who gassed the Kurds?

ris

certainly the intelligence presented by this government through its dossiers was of active and large scale programmes, serious stockpiles of weapons that were able to be swiftly battlefield readied and a policy to use them.

i seem to recall presentations to the un that showed aerial and sat photographs of weapons programmes and locations identified by intelligence.

who sold him the poisons to gas the kurds with?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The same country that sells the UK all kinds of goodies. It doesn't make you use them though.

So, according to David Kay & the (released) intelligence, Iraq has been fooling the entire world for more than a decade. The UN passed (13?) resolutions to stop production.

Sorry, there is too much historical data to suggest they scientists were pulling wool over his (and our collective) eyes.

ris

there certainly wasn't an overspill of outrage enough to not sell him any more after he used them in the iran-iraq war. we didn't give a crap until he wandered over the kuwaiti border.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The Iran/Iraq war was of two large powerhouses. Iraq vs Kuwait would be like the US invading Guatemala.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
blah-blah-phreakinblah....Give it up Gonz. :disgust2:
Where did the intelligence failure happen?

It happened when the right wing got all emotional at a dubya pep rally.

Why didn't saddam comply with the UN?

He was. It was US that he wasn't complying with...We had our own set of rules for him.

Who gassed the Kurds?

Who sent Rumsfeld to give our blessings?

The same country that sells the UK all kinds of goodies. It doesn't make you use them though.

:confuse3: :eek5: wtf.... So we thought they were just going to put them on display at the park or something? :rofl:

So, according to David Kay & the (released) intelligence, Iraq has been fooling the entire world for more than a decade.

I guess we better bomb Pakistan next...:disgust2:

The UN passed (13?) resolutions to stop production.

And, apparently, they did...go figure...:shrug: Its not like people like me weren't pointing that possibility out to you all along. YOU insisted you were right and you obviously weren't. Live with it.

Sorry, there is too much historical data to suggest they scientists were pulling wool over his (and our collective) eyes.

Change 'historical' to 'hysterical' and that statement almost becomes true....

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
January 25, 2004 - 12:05PM

Print this article
Email to a friend

David Kay, the outgoing leader of a US weapons search team in Iraq, said that part of Saddam Hussein's secret weapons program was hidden in Syria, a published report said today.

Kay reportedly told The Sunday Telegraph that he had uncovered evidence that unspecified materials were moved to Syria shortly before last year's war to overthrow Saddam.

"We are not talking about a large stockpile of weapons but we know from some of the interrogations of former Iraqi officials that a lot of material went to Syria before the war, including some components of Saddam's WMD (weapons of mass destruction) program," Kay reportedly said in the interview conducted.

"Precisely what went to Syria, and what has happened to it, is a major issue that needs to be resolved," he added.

Syria has denied pursuing weapons of mass destruction and said the long, porous border with Iraq makes it hard to stop infiltrators.

US President George W Bush last month approved the Syria Accountability and Lebanese Sovereignty Restoration Act, which accuses Syria of hosting Palestinian militant groups, such as Hamas and Jihad, and seeking biological and chemical weapons.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Squiggy said:
Are we conveniently lacking the source on that? :eek6:
actually no. type "david kay, syria" in google, look ubder teh news tab & enjoy. The hits just keep coming

chcr

Too cute for words
David Kay, the outgoing leader of a US weapons search team in Iraq, said that part of Saddam Hussein's secret weapons program was hidden in Syria, a published report said today.

I believe that would be called "holding the party line."

I think "credible evidence" is once again the watchword here. :shrug: