IRS Child Tax Credit

nalani

Not sure where to put this so just putting it here :)

I guess I haven't been paying attention all these years but has one of the requirement for the Child Tax Credit always been, "2. Was under age 17 at the end of 2008,"? Under age 17??? So, if they turned 17 in 2008 (which my middle son has) then he just doesn't count outside of the standard deduction? He's not a child according to the US government but he can't vote? That totally took my by surprise. It blows the big one. Ugh.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Don't worry Na, for the 2009 tax year you'll have two more little deductions...all kinds of tax credits are coming your way :D

catocom

yep, got one here that'll turn dec 3-2010.

this rebel without a cause thing is hitting too.:drink2:

majestyx

Not sure where to put this so just putting it here :)

I guess I haven't been paying attention all these years but has one of the requirement for the Child Tax Credit always been, "2. Was under age 17 at the end of 2008,"? Under age 17??? So, if they turned 17 in 2008 (which my middle son has) then he just doesn't count outside of the standard deduction? He's not a child according to the US government but he can't vote? That totally took my by surprise. It blows the big one. Ugh.

Peeved me off too when it happened to me. My son's birthday is Oct. 28th, and when he turned 18 he was still living at home with me supporting him. Why the IRS set the age at 17 instead of 18 is beyond me.......but then most of what the IRS doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

kuulani

He's not a child according to the US government but he can't vote? That totally took my by surprise. It blows the big one. Ugh.

Part of my argument about how age-&-government sucks.

Our boys can go to war at 18, but they canʻt buy alcohol. Yeah, let them be man enough to kill and be killed, but not man enough to decide if alcohol is okay.

Inkara1

The drinking thing is a state-level decision. All the states eventually changed to 21 for the drinking age after the federal government said, "Sure, you don't have to change your drinking age to 21. Of course, we also don't have to send you federal highway funds, but that's neither here nor there."

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Part of my argument about how age-&-government sucks.

Our boys can go to war at 18, but they canʻt buy alcohol. Yeah, let them be man enough to kill and be killed, but not man enough to decide if alcohol is okay.

They can drink on base....

nalani

They can drink on base....

Not here, they can't .. not legally anyway.

This whole "child tax credit" thing is just irritating as hell. I just don't understand why they didn't make it 18 since children under 17 are, for the most part, still under their parents' care and living on their dime. It's $1000- not exactly chump change .. well, not for me. And since I'm on bedrest and living off of less than 60% of my salary in TDI payments, I could really use that money .. UUURRRGGGGGHHHHH