Is it possible...

Can you fall completely out of love all together?

• Yup, happened to me!

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Sure, why not? (hasn't happened to you)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Un-decided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Um, no! That's impossible!

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Ardsgaine said:
Vortex said:
You need to take someone, even if they seem like they don't deserve it right then and there, and see where it goes from there.

Love is not simply that giddy emotion we get when we're forming a romantic attachment to someone. The butterflies in the stomach are going to go away as the relationship matures. The same excitement won't always be there. If you suppose that that's all there is to love, then you may come to believe that you're no longer in love with the person.

Then there are also going to be times when you're just plain aggravated with the other person, pissed off or even furious because of something that he's done. If you look for the 'feeling' of love in those moments, then you may think you've fallen out of love because it's not the emotion you're experiencing right then.

There has to be a commitment to loving the other person beyond that initial stage of excitement, and in spite of those occasional conflicts that inevitably arise. Loving them, not in the sense of feeling a particular emotion, but in the sense of taking actions that show how much you value them over every other person in the world. That's why you don't simply walk out the door when you're pissed off. You stay there and work through the conflict, try to understand the other person's point of view, and make it so that both people can feel good about being in the relationship.

I think the most important thing I could tell a new couple getting married is that love is not simply something you feel, it's something you do. If the couple thinks that once they've got the feeling they don't have to worry about it anymore, they're not going to make it. Keeping the feeling alive requires that they manifest it in their actions.

Ardsy, yer quotes continue to appear to me like the things I'd like to write, but you seem to say it much better, an' I jus' gotta smile!:)

I interpreted the question as "Is it possible to lose the ability to love". I don't think it is really. I think I may be in the early stages of falling in love right now. Everything that I am doesn't want to be in love, I am scared out of my wits. I can not help it though. I have no control over it.

I think it is possible to stop feeling love all together but not to lose the ability. If the right person comes along you will love again.

Back