IT workers are "worst dressed" employees

Professur

Shurely some mishtake

By Nick Farrell: Thursday 17 November 2005, 07:13

THE IT industry has the worst dressed workers, according to a leading Aussie fashion guru.
Somehow managing to beat off competition from the building industry, IT workers were given a telling off from Melanie Moss, who tells Aussie corporate staff what to wear.

She said that short sleeved shirts, man-made fibres and the wrong coloured socks were some of the most common fashion faux-pas in the IT industry. Moss blames the fact that the majority of IT people are not in front of customers all the time.

Help desk staff were the worst dressed, followed by those working in technology start-ups, many of whom had continued to wear T-shirts to work as a consequence of the casual web culture of the '90s.

Moss said that money should be no object when it comes to dressing well and it was not just about wearing suits. All you need is a good quality shirt with a nice print and smart slacks is often enough as long as everything co-ordinates... natural fibres were also important. Polyester doesn't wear well, and gets sweaty and whiffs a bit.

More in the Sydney Morning Herald, here. µ

source

Sonovabitch. I'm wearing a short sleeved shirt made from mad-made fibers. And while my socks are the same colour ..... they're different lengths. Fuck I hate being a stereotype.

I'm the opposite stereotype. I'm a corporate numbers guy, sitting here in a suit and tie. It's still a stereotype.

Eh, it's a living.

This is because the majority of IT personnel are male. :p

While I didn't dress as nicely when I worked in pc repair, I dress nicely for work now. So do the women who work with computers in my company. The guys? They can barely be expected to wear slacks; they are usually in jeans and golf shirts.

I wear a full suit, shirt, and a wool overcoat to work....

I am a full supporter of dressing with style and flair.

IDLEchild said:

I bet that clashes with the Paper Hat though.

j/k

Hmm... I wear Dickies work pants, polo or sport shirts and Rockport shoes to work (I have a brown pair and a black pair).

None of it apparently clashes with the tin foil hat.

IDLEchild said:

there is something to be said for that, i don't know how long i could do it every day.

If you have an IT job where you're going to get dirty and be crawling around on the floor, etc you shouldn't be expected to dress in expensive clothes.
But how many items of flair do you actually sport? ;)

lime green thong, sweatpants three sizes too small, an orange cutoff tanktop that says 'foxy', pink sunglasses, and a pair of fisherman wading boots that reek of hot wing sauce.

unclehobart said:
lime green thong, sweatpants three sizes too small, an orange cutoff tanktop that says 'foxy', pink sunglasses, and a pair of fisherman wading boots that reek of hot wing sauce.

Again?

Ah. I'm amazed that your could find a hot sauce without corn starch in enough volume to fill a pair of waders

Back