It's about time

I think it's the media that makes it in to a 3 ring circus. I don't think the celebrities are seeking that intentionally.

Celebs use PR tp keep their names in th espotlight. If they want genuine solitude, they can get it.

they don't need to say it. does mark karr need to say "i am a world-class pervert?" nope. it's obvious.

am i correct in saying Gonz and SNP have a gig going on about the yankees and the Confederates? (relating to the current day U.S.) ...and that the South was all for slavery?

We have an ongoing discussion about many issues related to the War for Southern Independence. He refuses to acknowledge that he's wrong, and I refuse to allow him to forget how wrong he is. :D :kiss:

Actually, we agree on many issues in the discussion. The rub goes more to motivation/intent/legality than the rather mundane and overblown issue of slavery. On that one we mostly agree.

Simple proof than people of the same general ideology can disagree on methods...or Constitutional words like rebellion.

You'll never guess who was granted an adoption in Malawi...:rolleyes:...Adoption advocates world-wide are livid over this...

Y'know ... I'm all for paying back those who were enslaved. Would everyone who was ever a slave please write your old owner and demand to be paid for the time and effort you put in. I think the going rate for field work back then was about twelve cents a week. Please be sure to reimburse your old owner for the food and shelter he provided during that time.

Y'know ... I'm all for paying back those who were enslaved. Would everyone who was ever a slave please write your old owner and demand to be paid for the time and effort you put in. I think the going rate for field work back then was about twelve cents a week. Please be sure to reimburse your old owner for the food and shelter he provided during that time.

How about the rapes, the beatings, etc, prof. How do you repay that? I can remember what William Wallace did in the movie Braveheart, but we all know what happened to him in the end, right?

200px-Slavetreatment.jpe

African American women had to endure the threat and the practice of sexual exploitation. There were no safeguards to protect them from being sexually stalked, harassed, or raped, or to be used as long-term concubines by masters and overseers. The abuse was widespread, as the men with authority took advantage of their situation. Even if a woman seemed agreeable to the situation, in reality she had no choice. Slave men, for their part, were often powerless to protect the women they loved.

Now tell me how much being a slave was worth...and how much should be repaid.

And of course, no non slaves were ever beaten or raped, were they?

Never said that. Nice try at taking it out of context, though. ;) Non-slaves who were beaten and/or raped had recourse. It's called, I believe, the court system.

Never said that. Nice try at taking it out of context, though. ;) Non-slaves who were beaten and/or raped had recourse. It's called, I believe, the court system.

No, I wasn't taking it out of context at all. Go thumb through a few hundred years of court documents and find me a few cases where a beaten employee took his boss to court. I'll wait. Wimmin in the workforce were regularly forced to give up their bodies to their bosses to keep the jobs their families relied on to keep a roof over their heads. Virgin maids were unheard of.

Do yourself a favour and stop looking at history with modern eyes. What outrages you today was jsut another fact of life back then. Children as young as 5 worked in coal mines. Wimmen were raped on a daily basis. Bosses thought nothing of whipping a slack employee. People worked themselves to death without breaks, heat, or sometimes even lighting. If you didn't like it ... too fucking bad. Didn't show up for work? Depending on the job and the boss, you were either canned on the spot, or a thug would show up and take you to work. You called the law? All you'd hear is laughter.

Back