It's Halloween - what won't you let your kids do that you did as a kid?

MrBishop

http://www.missingchildren.ca/MCN.htm?CD=252

Doom and Gloom!

Halloween should be scary, but not dangerous.

Watch out for the apples with the razor-blades in them, the cyanide-laced toffee, kidnappers and molesters, wear your reflective strips, have this flashlight, take this air-powered screamer...here's my cel-phone. Have fun!

So...what's got you scared and what won't you let your kids do that you used to do all the time when you were younger?

well, I am childless, but if I had kids, there is a lot I did that wouldn't happen now.

When I was 5, living in Ottawa, I used to trick or treat with the neiborhood kids, no parents, the oldest was about 10.

We used to eat the candies as we got them, not all, but snacking and walking, no inspecting for danger.

go into the cool haunted houses, people we didn't know, but it was halloween, so it was safe to talk to strangers, and go into there houses.

Cut through dark fields, for that sense of fear.

wear dark costumes, and walk in the middle of the road.

also kidless and always went with friends and parents in areas we knew. usually around my neighbourhood since everyone there knew each other :)

what won't you let your kids do that you used to do all the time when you were younger?
Go to the white house on the corner. All they ever gave out to me was shitty candy. Still went back though, every year. We kept thinking they'd smarten up, especially after the eggs and toilet paper.

I saw this movie a few years ago, I forget the title. It was a pretty bad halloween b-movie. Anyway, the best part was this old man had bought some apples and razor blades to give to trick or treaters. That was in the beginning of the movie, then you don't see him until the end, when halloween is over. His wife had found the apples and made a pie out of them. The old man starts eating, then he bleeds from the neck as it rips open and he dies. I wish I could remember the name of that movie.

Anyway, I don't have any childrens. But if I did, they would most definitely have someone older going with them. Someone at least 15. :D This city still seems just as nice as when I was a kid. Although, I would make my kids wear more reflective costumes than I did as a boy.

Not let them go trick or Treating after the age of 13....what's the point of teens coming dressed in jeans and a baggy T-shirt begging for candy?

Back