J.D. Salinger - dead at 91

MrBishop

Oh..I know that he wrote four..and several short stories... but nothing of any value after Catcher. If he'd written more (than he had already), we might've gotten another gem out of it.

valkyrie

I hate it when the media uses the term "withdrew to a farm in rural <insert_small_town_here>". What if this was the dream he was now able to fulfill due to the success of his book? No... the media sees living in the country as running off to be a hermit. :rolleyes:

I can tell you that it has always been my dream to live on a farm and be self-sufficient. I am certainly not self-sufficient as I have a job in the nearby city for support. When I drive home on Friday afternoon and the hard, cold, sterile view gives way to lush green trees and grassy fields swaying in the breeze it's like therapy. I consider it a successful weekend if I don't have to leave my farm/ranch. I get the feeling that J.D. Salinger felt the same way about his homestead in Cornish, New Hampshire. :)

As for Salinger limiting "his contact with the literary world"... how can you blame him? Most people are intellectually immature, wasteful and shallow. I'm sure the "literary world" is the same way.

As for his writing, he had one great work that became a staple for high school readers and should be continued in the curriculum... because it is good.

IDLEchild

Am I the only who feels The Catcher in the Rye is a shitty book? Hated reading in HS. Can't imagine a more pretentious main character in any book or movie.

valkyrie

Am I the only who feels The Catcher in the Rye is a shitty book? Hated reading in HS. Can't imagine a more pretentious main character in any book or movie.
Moby Dick. I had to read that bull shit book for a book report. What a crock of shit that was. Boring to the last page. Crissakes... what a loser!