Judge won't let Sept. 11 suspect plead guilty

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
The only man charged as a conspirator in the Sept. 11 attacks against the United States tried to plead guilty Thursday but was advised in court to reconsider.

Zacarias Moussaoui got in an argument with the judge after proclaiming his allegiance to Osama bin Laden.
"I am a member of al-Qaeda," Moussaoui told U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema.

But the judge wouldn't accept the guilty plea to the conspiracy charges, which could carry the death penalty. She told the accused to think about it for another week.

"I don't have to take advice from you," Moussaoui told the judge at one point, as she entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.

"I don't need" another week, the accused snapped back. "I've been thinking about it for months."

'I want to save my life'

Moussaoui, who has no lawyer, said he intends to fight any attempt by the government to execute him. But he refuses to accept court-appointed counsel, insisting that they will only help the prosecution secure the death penalty.

"I don't have to consult with people who want to undermine my defence," Moussaoui said.

"I want to plead today guilty because I want to save my life," he told the courtroom. Moussaoui has repeatedly said that he knows who is responsible for the Sept. 11 attacks. He believes that by speaking out he can avoid execution.

At one point, the judge suggested Moussaoui was confused about his legal options. Once a guilty plea is entered, she warned him, it could not be withdrawn.

"Stop this nonsense game you are playing here," he told the judge. "I don't have to take advice from you regarding the way I defend myself."

Brinkema told him to sit down, and later advised him to talk to government lawyers about the possibility of a plea bargain – for instance, promising to admit to the charges in exchange for not facing the death penalty. But the judge said she could not take part in those negotiations.

Jury selection is scheduled to begin Sept. 30. When asked if he wanted the trial postponed so he could have more time to prepare, Moussaoui said he would think about it.

:confuse3: Why argue with him? Let him plead guilty!

Source CBC News

Because if he pleads Guilty, we can't fry him. Only if he pleads Not Guilty, and we find him Guilty can we fry him.

Check the stats, a person that pleads Guilty, even for heinous crimes, rarely gets executed. It's when they plead not guilty, and are found guilty by a jury, that they are executed.

Brinkema told him to sit down, and later advised him to talk to government lawyers about the possibility of a plea bargain – for instance, promising to admit to the charges in exchange for not facing the death penalty. But the judge said she could not take part in those negotiations.

Doesn't look like it will.

I am up in arms about whether we should fry this guy or not!

I think a plea bargin for for info on al Qaida would be okay then let him out in the prison yard! He will be dead in a few years any way;)

Maybe no one has told him about that! Look at Jeffery Dahmer!

When you plead guilty you have to explain your crime and supply all detail that you know. I seriously doubt that he intends to open his mouth at all.. egro, a guilty plea is void out of hand. Also, the state or fed may, if they feel that the case is a 100% slam dunk, choose to not accept a guilty plea.

i dont care if he gets "dahmerised" or the death penalty either way he deserves to die.puter, i had never known that those who plead guilty to heinous crimes dont get killed cause my understanding is that some do get killed(richard ramierez i think pled guilty,ed gein i think did but im not sure so thats an assumption). as far as fry him unfortunatly the electric chair apparently violates the 8th amendment but i say bring it back for this fucker!!! hell McVeigh should have gotten it too not lethal injection.

I'm not disagreeing with that, I'd pay for Pay per View tickets to this guys execution, but what I'm saying is that I don't think he will get the death penalty. It sounds to me like the government is going to try to use him as some kind of informant.

To me, this is ridiculous. How long has he been in custody? A few months at least, and what kind of information does he have that we don't already have? He obviously can not tell us where Bin Laden is, so I say go ahead and fry him. I'm sorry if my previous posts make it sound like I want anything less.

There can be worse things than death, you know. Let him sit in jail getting gang raped by 300 pound gay men for the rest of his life until he dies, and then let him go to hell. :eek:

:cocktail:

sbcanada said:
There can be worse things than death, you know. Let him sit in jail getting gang raped by 300 pound gay men for the rest of his life until he dies, and then let him go to hell. :eek:

:cocktail:

He will problebly like it...

I say since he has already plead guilty give him death by pork!!

Back