Juice=bad

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You've probably said it to your kids at least once or twice - 'don't drink that pop, have some juice instead. It's better for you.'

But new research appears to indicate that may not be the case.

Scientists are now comparing fruit juices - even the 100 percent, all natural, no additives kind - to pouring children a glass of Pepsi.

They warn that's contributing to a growing problem of everything from early tooth decay to childhood obesity. And there's a growing body of evidence that consuming the sugar-filled drinks is leading to some rapidly growing bodies in evidence.

"All of these beverages are largely the same. They are 100 percent sugar," complains Dr. David Ludwig of Children's Hospital Boston. "Juice is only minimally better than soda."

And in some ways, it could be even worse. Consider the measurements: a .35-litre bottle of grape pop has 159 calories. The same amount of juice boasts 228 calories!

The doctors fear parents have been brainwashed for years into thinking juice is good for their kids, because they don't see the problems it can cause.

"With the possible exception of milk, children do not need any calorie containing beverages," warns Ludwig. "What is needed to replace fluid loss and satisfy thirst is the same beverage we've been drinking for millions of years, and that's water."

He's especially adamant babies shouldn't be given the sweet substances, since it can cut off their desire for nutritionally superior breast milk, add excess weight and create an expectation of having to have something sweet with their meal.

Nutritionists agree fruit is still good for you, but add juice isn't because it doesn't fill you up, which means you drink more.

And it doesn't provide the fibre that eating an apple or an orange will give you.

Not surprisingly, the juice industry disputes the claims, worrying children and adults will stop drinking their product and not get the important nutrients they believe it provides.
[/font]
:eek6:

I'm still not givin' them pop.

link

Hey!!! What's wrong with a glass (or twenty) of Pepsi?

I thought you meant "The Juice" was bad for you...
oj-simpson.jpg

How is this news?

All anyone had to do was read the nutrition facts to come to the same conclusion.

*raised on Kool-Aid, sweet iced tea, milk and Coca-Cola*

*never overweight but spent a lot of time in the dentist's chair*

A.B.Normal said:
Hey I was raised on coffee and tea
coffee.gif
,so go fig.
Funny (or not), kids today are deprived of caffeine and sugar (right?), yet hyperactive disorders seem to be epidemic . . . am I missing something? :shrug:

A.B.Normal said:
Coffee has the opposite effect on HA kids ,its slows them down.
Same as Ritalin, eh?

I swear, I can't recall one single kid from school that could be described as HA. Maybe we all were. :shrug:

'Boo, the added sugar IS a problem in fruit juices, but the fructose sugar is a large part of the problem. Just cos it says it has no added sugar, doesn't mean that it's low in calories. Natural orange juice is still high in fructose sugar.

Linkage.
Linkage

<edit> From your link, it provides a strawberry juice drink - strawberries have one of the HIGHEST levels of fructose in the fruit family.

I'd still rather have my fictitious kids drinking real fruit juice -- fructose naturally included, but no sugar added, than soda/pop/whatever you call it. Trust me. All the grossly overweight kids I happen upon in my country are not so because they drink too much fruit juice, but because their stupid, lazy parents let them eat McDonald's ten times a week and don't take away their Playstations and force them to play (exercise) outside like I did when I was a kid.

way i look at it is sugar is inevitable in a childs diet. they are hardwired to like it. i'd rather get some vitamins or calcium added to the mix as well.
marlowe is a chocolate milk drinker so she gets ovaltine. chocolatey with vitamins! malory likes juice so i give her watered down juicy juice or dole.
having a coke or a sprite is special, like a treat.

Alex gets watered down juice, water or soy milk at home. Sometimes she gets the chocolate soy milk if we have any. Sometimes at special gatherings I will let her have or share a soda.

My parents fed me very healthy growing up.

I would always drink either 1% or skim milk, water, or juice. Mom used to always make juice for me. Carrot juice.. yummm!

I still only usually drink pop when mixing with liquor.

Back