Junk Science

The FDA guidlines were the driving force behind the change.

I'm still thinking it was cost and non-spoilage. I believe margarine came about because of a WWII butter shortage.

Could be wrong but right now I don't think it was he FDA.

I recall years & years of margarine being called butters healthy substitute. (or some similar variation)

I'm still thinking it was cost and non-spoilage. I believe margarine came about because of a WWII butter shortage.

Could be wrong but right now I don't think it was he FDA.

Paranormal then. It was invented in France in the 1860's ;) I think use became widespread in the states for the reasons you state although it was used before that to fatten poultry if I remember correctly.

Oleomargarine originally. I think in the states at least that it was a regional thing. I remember it being oleo as a kid but I know my cousins in Ohio called it margarine back then.

I recall years & years of margarine being called butters healthy substitute. (or some similar variation)

Well hey, that's what corporate propaganda gets you. I fell for it too even though there's been evidence to the contrary for years and years.

It's funny that it was invented by the French...their cuisine is so steeped in butter.

[cheesy fake french accent]But of course it was only for ze militarie and ze lowair classes (like Americains)[/cheesy fake french accent]

Back