Just enrolled on the MCDST

Aunty Em

Yeah, I know I'm mad. :laugh:

I don't feel I'm ready to be able to get a job in helpdesk support so I decided to take the plunge and go for the MCDST as it will give me skills more specific to the job. I've looked at practice exam demos, and the requirements for the exams so I do know what I'm getting into and I feel it will expand my knowledge in the right direction. It will also lead on to the MCSA. I do intend to take the N+ at some point, and I will still be able to read the books I have on networking, but I won't be getting the exam specific stuff untill I've completed the MCDST.

I've also got in touch with the Shaw Trust, who help and support people with disabilty to get and retain a job, by providing personal development and skills training, placements, grants, etc. I feel in need of some support in the confidence building and interview skills area amongst other things and I think now is the time to start acquiring them. :)

Em, you're gonna train yourself out of a job if you don't watch it. You're fast exiting the entry level for techs, and you really want job experience before getting into stage 2 and 3 support.

I'm not planning on going any further than the N+ after this. I'm thinking possibly do the studying but not take the exams until I've actually got a job.

It's very very hard to find a junior position here where I live, I need to be able to remotely configure pcs, etc. Anyway there's always the possibility that the Shaw Trust can help me find a placement while I'm studying for it so I can get some hands on experience.

You know, I don't have to rush this... under my tuition contract I've got 2 years to complete it and pass the exams. I can go to interview and tell them I'm studying for it... if I fail them I get to retake for free... I can promise you I'm not going to be killing myself over this one... after all with all the study it took me more than a year to get the A+ because I had to work around my condition and there are some days when I'm just too tired to do anything, although they are fewer than they were because I'm learning to pace myself better... :shrug:

A+ / N+ / MCDST is perfect for an entry level tech, all those letters usually get your foot in the door. Isn't it also 50% of the way towards MCSA also?

Of course it all depends on the company and how much they value certs...some love certs, some couldn't care less.

Yep, I'll just have to take 3 more exams.

2 on 2003 Server and 1 on XP.

Most of the job adverts here are asking for a lot more. A lot are wanting you to be familiar with Active Directory. :(

get an "old" pc (1ghz proc / 512MB ram) and load 2000 server, make it a domain controller, viola active directory. There are differences between 2000 and 2003, but not *that many*. In an entry level job, you will probably need to know how to add and delete users, change permissions, change/reset/unlock passwords, add/remove computers from a domain, etc.

Phone support was something I couldn't do. It just lacked the personal touch ..... of being able to smack the user upside the head for his stupidity.

get an "old" pc (1ghz proc / 512MB ram) and load 2000 server, make it a domain controller, viola active directory. There are differences between 2000 and 2003, but not *that many*. In an entry level job, you will probably need to know how to add and delete users, change permissions, change/reset/unlock passwords, add/remove computers from a domain, etc.

I can't get a copy of 2k server, I've been trying. I did get a 180 day evaluation copy of 2003 though.

All tht is included in MCDST, plus how to do the remote stuff. The 2 exams are:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/requirements.asp

Back