ka-ching!

kuulani

I got my check from the feds :swing: now all i'm waiting for is my dollars from the state and it's time to hit the malls :D

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Me too, Boo. Had to pay the feds 80, the state 50. Not too bad, at least they didn't get my money all year....

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
PuterTutor said:
Me too, Boo. Had to pay the feds 80, the state 50. Not too bad, at least they didn't get my money all year....

If I could set that deal up, I'd do it every year. I don't trust the IRS site to get me that close & I don't know the exact calculations.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I have already spent most of my income tax money and I haven't even gotten it yet...dipped into my savings for an advance...I brought my preeeeeecioussssssssss *rubs her laptop's scroll pad affectionatly*

IDLEchild

Why not save the money? It's not EXTRA money coming in...they're basically paying you your money back. Kind of pointless to be happy and ecstatic about getting it back.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
IDLEchild said:
Why not save the money? It's not EXTRA money coming in...they're basically paying you your money back. Kind of pointless to be happy and ecstatic about getting it back.

A forced interest free loan that pays for things you don't agree with for people you hate.

Stop Laughing

And the alternatives are...

I remember one year I was supposed to get like $2 back from the state, I didn't even bother. They're taking everyone's money everywhere else anyways. Our county just raised its own tax on cigarettes from $.18 a pack to $1 a pack. Many are over $5 a piece now. Boy am I glad I don't smoke.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
IDLEchild said:

Well, being a student, some of the money I get is extra, I did NOT pay in as much in tax as I am getting back.

Plus, I budget based on how much I bring home per week when I work during the summer and how much I get per month while in school. I don't include the money I pay in tax in my budget. That way it IS like extra money because everything else is budgeted without that in there...so I am able to splurge and get something that makes me happy but is an expensive buy. I realize it's not all FREE money, but it is unbudgeted money (atleast for me).

tonksy

IDLEchild said:
you're not always correst there, bob...take me for example:
"we" paid $700ish in federal taxes....combine the child credit, extra child credit, and earned income that our poverty striken asses qualified for (as i was/am a stay at home mother of two toddlers) our return was $3700ish....'course with tranny repair my cut was smaller than expected but :shrug: can i really complain? it got me out of dodge...well, mostly.
at times i feel guilty for taking the extra money from the government but i try to look at it as my wages for being a stay at home...course my ex looks at it as 100% his and acts like he was some great big humanitarian for giving it to me...what he doesn't realize is that he didn't earn it (he earned the $700ish) i did by not throwing the kids in daycare and letting someone else raise them.

PT

I don't get the earned income credit anymore....

Another note, that extra child tax credit pissed me off this year. So, the middle of the year I get this check for 1200 bucks, 400 per kid that I get to claim. I'm thinking cool, the govt is giving me money back. Then I go to do my taxes and find out it was an advance for this year? WTF? I didn't ask for no fucking advance....

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
No shit PT. That pissed me off. I thought the check was because it was retroactive to last year.

PT

Yep, I'd venture to guess that about 28.9 million people thought the same thing....