Kidnapping call a prank, Montréal police say

MrBishop

A Montreal teen who called 911 saying her 14-year-old friend was abducted by three men admitted the story was an elaborate hoax after skeptical police investigators began grilling her about the bizarre story. Officers found the girl hiding in the closet at her 18-year-old friend's house in Longueuil, Que., on Montreal's South Shore about 5 a.m. yesterday, about 15 hours after police launched a major operation to find her. "The girl was a runaway from a group home and she was trying to hide the fact that she had runaway," said Cmdr. Richard Dupuis of the Montreal police major crimes squad. Both teens will be charged with public mischief, police said.
Source

There are more details. Basically, she not only led the cops on a merry chase and wasted the time that they could've used more productively but worried her folx AND the actual accusation of kidnapping (something glossed over on this site) was aimed at 3 black men.

First: Punishment
Second: More punishment in the form of community work at Police stations (emptying garbage cans, scrubbing floors) - for wasting their time
Third: Even more punishment in the form of community work in the Black Community Resource Centre - for the false accusation.

It's somehow a worse crime because she accused blacks?

1. Indict her for filing false reports and harboring a runaway.

2. Minimum nine months JD.

3. 20 hours/week doing Comunity Service work, calculated at whatever minimum wage is there until she satisfies the cost of the wasted investigation.

And what will all that achieve? She was already in a group home. She wasn't there by choice.

I read it as the 14 y/o was the runaway, and her friend made the calls. If that's not accurate, then disregard previous transmission.

That childdrowning Susan whatever did that too. omg it was a black man!!1111!! I believe that it's uncool, but I dunno about more of a crime. I think in the end I'd be for it if she was called on her stoopidity on that point ala Bish punishing ideas.

If I might interject one little thing. While it's the cool thing to treat blacks as ????? (cool, scary, criminal, misunderstood, choose at least one) there's one simple fact that's often overlooked.

When looking for a scapegoat to a crime, saying "a black man" is little different from saying a darm haired white guy, average height, average weight, average etc. The difference being : Features. Noone expects a white person to be able to discribe accurately Negro features. (Sorry Gato) If they catch a guy who just barely fits a ballpark description of the "phantom black man" ... who's going to question that the features aren't an exact fit to whatever a police sketch artist put to paper? Foreigners all look alike, remember? You could say a chinese man, 'cept (sorry for the stereotype) people would have a harder time believing in an average chinese man pulling off a physical crime. Which is of course raw stupidity at it's finest given Oriental martial arts and the Yakuza (yes, I know I'm mixing. That's exactly my point. Thank you)

I dunno that a girl like that in the heat of the moment would have been thinking that through, but in general, yes, I agree.

You don't think about it. That's the whole point.

Quick ... describe a black man.
now, just as quick, describe a white man.

Not so easy, is it?

But at the same time, if I was quickly off the top of my head making up a sham omg my friend was napped!! story, I don't believe that I'd come up with a black guy as the bad guy. Maybe I'm just stoopider or naiver than others.

Back